My grandmother hit me :/

Rosie21098

I grew up with an abusive mother who was severely bipolar and depressed. My father didn't want to know me so I only lived with my mother. She abused both me and my grandmother physically and mentally. She died when I was 13 and I have lived with my grandparents ever since. She was their only daughter and I am their own grandchild and although I am spoilt and have more than I could ever ask for materialistically, they seem to want to control my life.

My grandmother was awfully to me last because I wanted to move away for uni and she put me through a lot. I ended up moving anyway and it's been good to have space in our relationship, but that doesn't mean that when I'm home I'm not faced with the same sort of problems. I told her I'm going travelling for a month and she completely lost it. She said I'm being selfish for just leaving and going away and that I haven't thought about her at all and that the fact that she's not going to be alive forever. I've mostly ignored her as by this point I know how it all plays out anyway. But she told me the other day that she was close to getting my straightener, hairdryer, laptop charger etc. and cutting the plugs off the end. Then earlier she got angry and threw her drink at me and then hit my across the face. In the end she apologised but said that the way she hit me was nowhere near the same as how my mother would. In a different conversation later on, she was completely ignoring me when I was saying that she had hit me, and every time I said 'I didn't deserve you to hit me though' or anything about it she kept saying 'you're being like your mother now'. I don't know what to do :/

TheWretchedOne

Are you able to stay with friends or stay at Uni? I'm sorry your grandmother is doing this to you after all you went through with your mum. You seem a really strong person, you have been through so much, don't let her get you down. It seems she is afraid to let you go and get on with your life, try and have a talk or write her a letter about how you feel. Explain that you have to leave and live your life, you won't forget about her but that her behaviour at the moment is unacceptable. It's not selfish for wanting to leave for a month. I hope things get better for you.

Sorry that you're going through this Rosie.

There are some domestic violence resources that might be able to talk to. Most of the DV resources are geared toward live-in partner violence, but many extend beyond that.

Do you think you'd want to, and would be able to just cut ties with your grandmother?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00