My grandmother passed away.

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by TheBLA, May 1, 2008.

1. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I feel that making this thread is quite silly first of all.

My dad's mom passed away today and my dad has been quiet and reserved. His father passed away when he was a child and his mom raised him and his brothers and sister in a very, very poor Indian village and only had a 6th grade education.

Clearly, she went through lots of pains and hardships and was proud that her oldest son (my dad), could become a successful computer programmer, travel all over the world and be so wealthy. She and her children were still stuck in India in poverty.

And I feel bad about not being too sad about her death. I only remember seeing her twice in my lifetime, 1997 and 2006 as visits to India. I was born but never lived there and never have been connected to it.

And the 2006 trip, I was very depressed (more than now) and messed up and I'm sure she was so excited to see her grandchildren (my brother too) after nine years and I did not even want to look at her. Oh, I feel so bad about that. I wanted to see her again later this year.

Its also sad that her other children did not care for her in India, giving attention to their families instead and given they are still poor in India, they must have thought of her as a liability and I can somewhat understand their position as well.

I never got to see both my grandfathers since they passed away before I was born. My mom's grandmother passed away early 2003 and I also didn't see her till 1997.

This thread seems so out of place, when I don't miss her too much, but yet I do feel sadness and guilt. My dad will be okay and as much as my dad annoys me and I really dislike him at times, I feel for him.

He's very strong unlike me, a complete dependent weakling. Thats obvious when he came from a backwards, rural village into making just about a six-figure income. I dunno how I will manage when my parents pass away. :sad:

I didn't even know her name. But I hope your at peace now and I envy you so much for having little education and raising four kids by yourself in abject poverty. My dad is glad to have a mother like you and he will miss you very much.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  2. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

My condolences. :hug: If you ever need to talk about anything, feel free to contact me.

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i don' t think this is a silly thread, and i am sorry for your loss.

i also grew up a long ways away from my grandparents, and was not very close to them. i still mourned their passing. they are a part of your history, your story. it is natural to feel sadness.

4. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Rahul your thread isnt silly at all. It is an honorable and honest thread devoted to a woman who deserves to be recognized for all her efforts. You have done well by her Rahul and I'm sorry for your loss.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

im sorry for your loss :hug:

6. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmothers death Rahul, your thread isn't silly, even though you didn't know her she was a part of your life, a part of who you are.. my sympathy is with you. :hug:

Hazel x

7. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss Rahul :hug: