My hair is falling out

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Petal, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My hair is falling out and I have no clue as to why. I was at my hair dressers today and I knew some had fallen out but she showed me where quite a bit had actually fallen out. I would not put it down to stress tbh. I've not been stressed much lately, never mind to the point of my hair falling out. I know I should show the doctor but her answer to most things is ''i don't know''. I love my thick hair, if any more falls out I will see the doctor, has anyone else had this?

Edited to add: I'm 26/female fyi.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi petal, so sorry about this but I think the best thing to do is to seek medical advice. I hope it's short term and nothing serious. You don't deserve this for being supportive of others on this. I think everyone would agree with me.

3. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

One of my close friends got quite serious hair loss when she started restricting carbs in her diet. She was eating healthily enough - lean proteins and fruit and veggies and nuts etc but for some reason the lack of carbs after a month or two started her hair really thinning. She decided she didn't care and preferred to be thin but she had to stop after a few months when her hair was really bad. Once she started eating good grains and carbs it sorted itself out. I don't know if this was just here or if this is a known thing.

Talk to your dr for sure - your hair shouldn't be falling out - it might be stress but if this is a new thing I would point out you have had plenty of stress before and never lost your hair.

4. Petal

I've reduced carbs in my diet but not enough that I can say I've changed too much. For example; have had carbs twice today already. Maybe it could be something else in my diet though as I changed a lot but for the better i hope. You are right about the stress. I've had some very stressful and trying times in my life and never lost hair that i've noticed at least. Will for sure say it to the doctor on monday when I am collecting my script.

Thank you both :hug:

5. Luie

Luie Well-Known Member

Have you been getting enough vitamin D recently? Hair loss isn't a common symptom of vitamin D deficiency but it couldn't hurt to add more foods with vitamin D to your diet to help prevent more hair loss. Even if you are eating such foods, check with your doctor about how much vitamin D your body is actually absorbing. It could also be your age. Hair changes consistency as you get older, though I'm sure there's things you can do to help maintain it.

6. catecholamine

catecholamine Well-Known Member

Several things here....some of the big causes of hair loss are:
    Lack of protein
    Hypothyroidism
    Weight loss

A lot of people have hair loss a month or two after they first start losing weight. I did. It eventually got better.

7. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

My hair thinned and fell out quite into my eating disorder, so nutrition could be a factor, or maybe your hair is too long? I know someone who lost some hair but when she went to see someone about it they just told her it was so long and too heavy for her head. Also, mine started to break and fall out when I wore it in a bobble for too long. It can also occur if you're using the wrong shampoo etc apparently,

I don't think I helped at all there really.. haha
    I'm sure a doctor would know though

8. Petal

Thanks everyone for the replies,

I honestly just don't buy that it's stress (that's what my cousin who is a hairdresser said it was probably). My diet is rich in vitamins. My hair has always been long and well looked after, they refused to dye my hair without me seeing my doctor over the bald patch which is reasonable but it's worrying me, it really is as I'm prone to infections. I've lost 10lbs in 5 weeks(I've put some back on this week) which I think isn't too much but a perfect amount so I just don't know if that could be it.

Ye're support is very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  9. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I have just spent some time on Google and apparently 1 in 500 women suffer from unexplained bald patches, though most apparently go away in a few months and never cause an issue again. The other thing I did read though, is that prolonged use of benzos - which I know you have been on for a long time - has a common side effect of hair loss. Also - I assume you know this and are not using any, but it bares saying anyway; most diet pills, especially any that are meant to speed up your metabolism rather than bind fat, cause hair loss.

Basically you need to talk to your doctor honey because at the moment we are all just stabbing about in the dark which isn't really very helpful to you. :hug:

10. Petal

You are correct Lu!! I will show it to the doctor in the morning and see what she says. I never knew that benzo use can cause hair loss! I know benzos have a lot of side effects but it never occurred to me it could be that as you said I'm on them a long time and at very high dosages. No diet pills, I know they're bad. Would never touch them.

Thank you so much for the support in the meantime before I can see what the doctor thinks. You're awesome :hug: Hopefully it's nothing and just a once off :)

11. Petal

Just back from the doctor, she said it is a fungal infection and prescribed a cream called Lamasil. She said it won't spread as long as i'm using the cream, happy out now that it's not anything serious. Thanks :)

12. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Good news! :D

13. Petal

Thank you Terry, it sure is :) x

14. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I'm breathing quite easier! Wow about various reasons of hair loss. Hope it nipped in the bud.

I lowered my carb intake too but not that much.

Wonder how long it'll take before it grows back

15. trevordd

trevordd Member

I guess, the shampoo does it. I can recommend you to try some homemade one. I use it and never have an issue with my hair at all. You can find the recipe of it on http://cohomag.com website. It is very easy to make and useful thing