My heart bleeds for this man

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Petal, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

In 1990 Michael Phillips plead guilty to a crime he did not commit(rape) and was convicted and served 12 years out a 16 year sentence and a further 6 months for not registering as a sex offender. This week this man has been cleared through DNA evidence. God bless him :( Cases like this make you really think how many people are in prison for crimes they have not committed?

Link to news story is here:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

This case shows why we should not bring back capital punishment
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

this is exactly why we should NEVER bring back hanging!
  4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

You do have a point Terry but with forensics & DNA as advanced as they are now we could but before execution we would have to double & triple check so as to be 100% sure of guilt unless that is not yet possible
  5. LonerForever

LonerForever Well-Known Member

Even double, triple and quadruple checking won't get a 100% guaranteed result. I bet plenty of prosecutors have been certain of their case only to find out decades later they were wrong.
  6. islandification

islandification Well-Known Member

We still have capital punishment. Look at that guy in AZ, took two hours for him to suffocate.
  7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I don't agree with capital punishment at the best of times.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Yes it took him two hours of snorting and gasping. Some will argue that it was not enough of a punishment for taking two lives.

I do sometimes wonder if eye for eye makes the world go blind is more true than eye for eye tooth for tooth that code of Hammurabi went by.

Some days I'm for capital punishment other days I'm not as it's death is an easy way out of the justice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.