My holiday fears

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Petal, Jul 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have not been on a holiday in 6 years so this should be a time of joy BUT

I'm a little scared of going on my holiday, first off I have not seen these cousins i am staying with in more than 20 plus years (im 26 lol), slightly afraid of flying but I know the statistics are in my favour as you are more likely to be killed on the way to the airport than be in a plane crash.

They might think I want to sight see, I might but I have sciatica on my left side and it can really hurt to walk far sometimes.

Last but not least I'm afraid they won't like me, they don't know I am obese, they know of my mental issues but they're fine with that, they are not going to judge me as my cousins son is currently on suicide watch in london. I am afraid I will be too shy to talk to them, I have a friendly personality but other than general chit chat I'm not a great talker.

Some suggestions/advice/support or even just a hug will be greatly appreciated!
  2. Unsupergirl

Unsupergirl Active Member

I wish I did have some advice for you, but I can't bear to even leave my apartment most days.
  3. ThinBlueFlame

ThinBlueFlame Member

If it makes you feel any better, they're probably nervous too. I think anyone would be nervous about meeting someone they haven't seen in 20+ years. :)

Are you going somewhere that has bus tours? Those are usually fun and would decrease the walking factor. Just be honest with them and let them know your sciatica might limit you. I certainly hope they will understand that and not get huffy.

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I can understand your fears, but I think it will be ok. Maybe they will be nervous about seeing you too, because you haven't seen each other in so long. Just explain to them that is hard for you to walk long distances, and that you are shy so they will understand if you don't talk much or seem nervous. I usually tell people that so they don't think I just don't want to talk to them. As you said, they wouldn't judge you for your mental issues, so I doubt they would judge you based on looks, either. It is hard to deal with things and just have fun when you are anxious, but try not to overthink things and just enjoy your trip :)
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thanks for the responses, that's helped a lot :) I will stick to the advice given here and just be open with them, I hadn't thought of the possibility of them being nervous too. I guess I am just anxious, thanks again :)
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Petal, this is a wonderful opportunity for you. A chance, not just to get out of the house, but to hop on a plane and visit family you have not seen in years. Its going to be huge confidence builder for you. A chance to renew old friendships. And don't worry about your appearance. No one is perfect. Some of them may have weight issues. And you will probably be much harder on yourself then they will be on you about anything. So take a deep breath, stop thinking negative thoughts about yourself, and go have a grand time.

I am cheering for you.
  7. Gergin

Gergin Well-Known Member

I'm sending you good vibes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.