My Introduction :)

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Bibliophile, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bibliophile

Bibliophile New Member

Hello. My name is Bibliophile - you can also call me Athena, whichever you would like. I'm a 26 year old student who's getting a degree in Linguistics and Psychology but is now mostly just preparing to apply to medical school with all the requisite courses. I'm here because after a long history of abuse with my parents and brother, I've developed what was initially called depression, but lately has been called PTSD. I've struggled with suicidal thoughts since I was 13, and because of the nature of the abuse, it can be hard for me to find friends to talk to when I need someone to talk to. Or sometimes I feel like I can't talk to people at all. But I think coming here - well, my first experiences were in the chat room last night - and I think coming here could be really beneficial to me, like it has been for a lot of people. I'm just in a deep, dark hole right now, and I want to get out. I want to go back to my life, and if possible I don't want to find myself here again.

At any rate, I look forward to meeting all of you. :)

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Athena i am glad you are here i find it easier to talk to people online so i hope you can too hugs

3. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

Nice to see you here biblio... i met you briefly in chat. I am glad to see you are making use of both aspects of this site.... it can help you a lot. Lots of friendly people here. I too went through a lot of abuse and still am subject to abuse, so I understand the stigma and the types of condescending judgemental comments you get if you talk to people that are not understanding. I rarely talk about it myself in any detail, because of those reasons. I stayed away from the rape and abuse forum here for a long time because I have become so accustomed to trying to push it all in the background and not really talk about it, other than to mention it as a reason for my depression, but not really let on how much it affected me and still affects me to this day. I have found a lot of supportive people there, I highly recommend it. I hope you will find this site as beneficial as I have, and I hope you know you can always talk to me if you desire... my inbox is always open to everyone as is my pm on chat. Take care of yourself and be safe!

4. Bibliophile

Bibliophile New Member

Thanks, guys. And Dawn, I will definitely look at that forum. The most difficult part about my condition is the flashbacks I get and how I can feel sometimes like I'm 13 again, and someone is going to hurt me. Getting out from under that is something I haven't been able to do. Hopefully this will help me to be able to, even if just a little bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.