My job is my life

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by twistedwhispers, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

I am writing this while crying so I will try to my this as short as I can while giving all the information.

I have worked for a company for 28 years. My job is now in jeopardy. My manager is checking into
    another job, it would be a demotion & that is okay. I would have a job. That's if I fail two months in
    a row. This month is horrible.

Since October, I have went to work worrying because I am being checked. The more mistakes I make,
    the sooner I will be gone. My therapist agrees that this is extremely stressful. And the stress itself is
    causing me to make mistakes. I can't take it anymore.

I am 48 years old. No kids. No husband or boyfriend. I have friends but I don't think they really know
    what to do with me. My parents are the only reason I am still here.

My biggest fear of doing this is that I fail. With my luck, I would.

I was actually inpatient for 3 days when this began in October. Because of a comment I made to my
    manager. She personally drove me to the hospital.

If my job ends, which it looks like that's where heading, I can't go on living. I won't be able to.

Sorry for the length.............
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Can you work not help you transfer hun to a different position in company Get your union involved if you can
  3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Your potential solutions seem clear cut, possibly. If you fear you are being checked for mistakes, then work hard at not making mistakes. You have been with the company for 28 years, so surely you are skilled at what you do. Perhaps sit down with your manager and explain to them you are having some issues at the moment. Many larger companies actually have programs in place to assist situations such as this. If all else fails, nobody these days manages to remain at a same company forever. Have you considered looking at other horizons... perhaps another company, perhaps new experiences, perhaps a less stressful situation?
  4. twistedwhispers

twistedwhispers Member & Antiquities Friend

Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it.

There is a chance of this other job there that would be almost no stress at all. My next
    meeting with manager is Wednesday to see how I am doing are far as meeting my goals.
    I will talk to her about the other position then.

The worst of it now is I am so stressed at work. I break down crying several times a day.
    It's like being there waiting for the ax to drop.
  5. Powerpuff

Powerpuff Active Member

I know this might sound bizarre but for me, when I need to do a chore the harder I try the more mistakes I make and the times when I don't care and just wing it, things go smoothly. When I have a don't care attitude I am calmer and able to think things through. I can't say this will help you but trying hard seems to bring worrying.

While at your present job try looking for another job, maybe you might get lucky and be able to quit and go elsewhere rather than getting fired. I know, easier said than done. But you seem to be bright having been at a job for 28 years, this is not done by being useless. You are smart,right now you are in a rut and need time to get back again, don't die,, please
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.