My life is over

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Me1986, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Me1986

Me1986 New Member

I'm a 28 y o teacher who only wanted to teach for rest of his life. I got word that my contract is not being renewed for next year and to top it all off I just got questioned by admin about sexual comment that I supposedly made to a student. No school will want to hire me now probably and I want to die there is nothing for me anymore teaching is my life please help I don't think I can live anymore

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Teaching contracts for teachers without tenure and years of seniority do not get renewed all the time. It is just part of th eprocess in todays world of too small budgets and school budgets voted down by constituents. Unless there was a police file that inquiry is a cover your ass inquiry - if somebody makes a statement or accusation they have to do an inquiry - just make sure you have your union rep or counsel anytime you speak to them. Unless they press charges which if it is them talking to you and not the police then that will not follow you anywhere and if they have already said not renewing contract it can't have any more negative effect there. You are a teacher with some experience which gives you a leg up in the next round of interviews where you can be a teacher still/again if that is what you choose until you are fortunate enough to land a job in a stable district that does not cut 20% of its staff every year to pass the budget then hire them back exceeding the budget due to state and federal mandates throughout the year. Understand you are part of a situation that many younger teachers find themselves in and don't let depression make you believe that it is you that is not good enough.

Take Care and Be Safe

- Ben

3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry that you are down but no doubt you are going through such a traumatic time. Such an allegation could have long term damage to your ambition. You need to remain strong and recall the event what happened. You need to speak to a union representative in order to get support from your union.

No doubt you have been judged by the people looking at you but you need to remain calm. You can overcome the crisis but you need to maintain a normal day to day activity. Yes, it's going to be hard but can you do it. At moment you are feeling frantic and despair.

You need to walk tall until any action takes place and not being alone at all as you feel very vulnerable. If you feel the pressure to self-harm, the use an elastic band or ice cubes as alternative. The elastic band is simplest solution as very time you think about the what-if scenarios pull it to calm you down.

Yes, people will talk about it but remember you are important and you have joined a very supportive community. You need to remain calm and also seek medical advice as doubt you will be having sleepless nights. Explain to your doctor what happened as he or she has to remain confidential. Please I know that you really stressed and we understand where you are coming from.

PM me anytime when you feel low and I will help you as much as I can. Be safe, you are among people who are suffering and understand your feelings.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello there and welcome to the forums. I can't imagine what you must be going through right now. You must have feelings of rejection, punishment and suspension . I just would like to say you can talk to me anytime :)

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Well-Known Member

When I'm able to work - illness has caused me not to work for a while - I'm an independent contractor. That means I take contracts - usually between 3 and 6 months. They draft me in to address a specific issue, and when that's done, then I'm done.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I know how disappointed you must be, but you can find something else, I'm sure. Be confident.

As to the allegations of a sexual comment, it's really impossible to say without knowing the details. However, if I were you I'd directly question your line manager about references, and whether this issue will be mentioned at all.

Understand, we live in times where what was acceptable yesterday isn't acceptable today. The rules seem to constantly change. Like everything in life you can learn from this. Good luck.

6. Me1986

Me1986 New Member

Further update: got an interview then got a call saying that the interview was canceled "going in a different direction" they say code for you are not what we want. I probably will never teach again and maybe I shouldnt. I love teaching but I it is amazing how you can go from happy to sucidal with a thirty second voicemail message

7. Me1986

Me1986 New Member

Thank you all for your support it is the only thing keeping me going at this point I have set up a mock interview with a company that specializes in interviewing in hopes to get past the non renewal I am not to hopeful though

8. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Please be safe and do not worry now. Thank for your kind words but remember we are here to help and support you. You are important and please remember that. Take care.

9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Teaching jobs are not stable in this economy, I graduated with few of them and almost all ended up teaching at several different charter schools and go to a different state the following year.

I understand some students will say something to get you in trouble. I deal with clients all of time trying to get my staff in trouble because they're upset about something.

It's the downside dealing with numbers of students, you will get one or two troublemakers.

10. Me1986

Me1986 New Member

Okay now the kids are starting to talk I could barely get through 7th grade band today with all the talking about me getting fired technically I resigned but the other teacher are still talking and 7th grade which is usually my best class was my worst today I'm feeling low but I do have an interview for a job in South America and Dubai Friday it would be a two year commitment and it would get me out of the country so it sounds like the best thing right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.