My life story --what to tell others

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cymbele, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

This week I have to tell my life my bible study group. I don't want to talk about suicide but it's been such a large part of my life in the past years most of my actions won't be explained without delving into the depression and suicidal thoughts. Don't know what to do. Thinking about causes me to cry. And I can't get out of it. And I don't want them to feel pity for me. And I have a half hour to talk about my life and what happened.

I know I will have to talk about the divorce. But do I talk about being so suicidal that I went into the hospital? That I ratted on someone who I thought was going to suicide and what I was doing on the (other support) suicide forum? That the thoughts keep oppressing me and that the reason I don't have anything to talk about is that I'm so depressed most of the time that I don't have any hobbies anymore? That my marriage went downhill because of my depression and my ex didn't know how to deal with it?

I would appreciate any advice.
  2. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

honestly... it comes down to this:

how much faith do you have both in your god and your church?

when i got saved, i was loud about all the experiences i'd had and how i was amazed that God had still saved a person like me... that made me both friends and enemies within my church... even my pastor didn't like me much after that...

you just have to do some soul searching and ask yourself:

can you live with some of them judging you if you are honest.... b/c no matter what, some of them will
    do you have enough faith in your god to believe if you are honest that god will hold you close to him and shelter you from the abuse you may suffer?
    can you take more abuse?

if any of those answers are "no" or "i dont know, maybe" ... then i suggest saying little to nothing about the things you have mentioned here
    if all thsoe answers are a strong "yes" .. then sure, why not? it will only pull you more into your faith and give you a fwe more supports you may not have considered previously... plus one more way to vent and venting is always good
  3. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I don't think I would get any abuse. One gal told her story of alcoholism and abortions and no one judged her negatively; rather we admired how she came to faith and overcame everything. She is still loved.

I just don't talk to anyone except 1x a month with the pdoc. If I mention I'm having trouble with loneliness to my daughter she thinks I need to go into the hospital (I've been there twice). Only here and with the therapist/pdoc am I free to talk without judgment or fear. I don't talk about myself at work. At home there is no one to talk to. I don't ask for prayer requests because I figure I'm lucky to be alive and others have it worse here. I've been to the bottom and I could easily slide back to the bottom.
    That I don't have any thing I'm proud of (maybe my daughter and that's in doubt).
    I'm afraid.
    Thanks for the advice.
  4. wyngedbyste

wyngedbyste Well-Known Member

Cymbele, I don't see anything wrong with what you want to share. You have nothing to be ashamed for. Me, I don't share details of my past with most people. I generalize.

Btw, you didn't "rat" anyone out. You got someone the help they needed. Use positive words to characterize yourself. Sounds like you are a good person.

5. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

Hi Cymbele,

Sounds like sharing would be a huge benefit to you then... I encourage you to go for it.. I know it can be scary, but it is also strangely freeing... you need some release from all that pain, why not try?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.