1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my love

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by MourningAngel, Nov 4, 2010.

1. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

a few days ago i lost someone who was very dear to me.

to make this clear at the beginning: i'm talking about my horse; the title is 'my ove' because i sometimes call him the love of my life.

i grew up with him and when my depression made me push everyone, including my parents and brother, away from myself i always held him close, i needed him to help me escape my depression and my at that time not so nice life for a while, he kept some kind of balance in my life
    long story short: he was the closest one to me and helped me through hell itself, stood by me whenever i needed him
    for a long time he was my only shimmer of light, of hope

now he's gone

the day the vet came i stayed with my horse for an hour after everything was over, i couldn't make myself leave him. my mum had to practically tear me away from his body. i could feel him get cold but i knew if i left him then that i'd leave him for the last time. i cried the entire time and only calmed down for the tiem i sat next to him telling him he'S fine now and that the pain is finally over forever.

once i was at home again i was calm. since then i didn't cry, i don't feel overly sad, my depression didn't get worse again as expected, i'm merely a bit more sensetive than i usually am.
    i'm scared of myself. why aren't i grieving for the one who kept me alive all those years, who showed me how to love and trust even through my depression? who stood beside me even as i pushed everyone else away and broke and fell deeper and deeper? i don't understand.
    i was scared to grieve because of all the pain it would bring but i was/am also scared of the pain that will come if i just push it all aside, bottle it all up.

i want to grieve, i owe him that but i don't. why don't i? i love him so much and yet i don't grieve... why?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I am an animal lover too, so I truly understand your loss...very sorry...J

3. Juliaa

Juliaa Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry you've lost something so dear to you.
    :hug:

4. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

it finally sunk in, he's gone
    now i'm grieving
    i'm falling deeper into my depression again, i'm having problems with getting anything done again
    i just hope i can pull through

5. The Thanatos

The Thanatos New Member

You raise such a good question. My dogs got run over in February & I was a mess for a day, but after that, the extreme pain was still there. I just didn't weep. I think I wanted the pain to go away so I tried not to think about them. A defense mechanism?

As the months passed by, I would tear up a lot thinking about them, but would not allow myself to weep.

I asked myself: Is it better to forget their memories and be less in misery or is it better to remember them and fully feel the pain day in and day out?

I don't want to forget, but I don't want the pain.

Maybe we can't have it both ways.