My mom's credit cards, driver's license, and social security number was stolen.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by A_New_Man, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A_New_Man

A_New_Man Well-Known Member

Today my mother's purse was stolen. In her purse were all her credit cards, her driver's license, her cell phone, and $400. Worst of all, my family's social security numbers were stolen, too - mine, my dad's, and my mom's.

The credit cards were canceled, the phone company was told not to allow the cell phone to make or take any calls, and our credit has been put on "fraud alert" for 90 days (but I'm not sure what that means, can anyone tell me?).

A driver's license carries someone's full name, birthdate, and address. All of that information, plus a person's social security number, is enough to carry out identity theft, right?

My mom, my dad, and I live together, so that means our addresses are the same. The thief also knows our full names, from the contact list in my mom's cell phone.

Now that my full name, address, and SSN are in the hands of someone who has no ethical problem with stealing a woman's purse, what kind of danger am I in? What kind of countermeasures can be taken?

I'm really worried. What is potentially the worst that could happen now that all of this info is out there?
  2. xan

xan Chat Buddy

If he's a purse snatcher I doubt he has many skills beyond that. Most likely he'll have taked the money and thrown most of the other stuff away... it's just evidence if he gets caught and if you're lucky he'll try using the credit card and get caught. If her keys were in the purse then DEFFINATELY change the locks. Hope it all works out ok :hug:
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I agree with the above comment. Most identity theft occurs because people are too free with their information online, not because someone steals a purse. You should be fine. You can notify Social Security, but they won't do anything about it except issue you a new card with the same number.
  4. endlessskies58

endlessskies58 Well-Known Member

i have friends who have stolen driver licenses from people... the only thing they use it for is to buy alcohol because they are underage...

just do the best you can :)

the worst case scenerio usually is just fiction within reality. especially since people are lazy by nature... i really doubt he has the energy or the guts to come to your house. he just wanted to grab some cash if he's stealing a purse and ended up getting more than that.

and i know people who have had their social used and everything was cleared up easy. at least you know what to look for.

i've also had it where a friend lost some important things at a concert more than once and had it mailed back to them within a couple months because someone found it. who knows, maybe someone caught the dude and sent you back your stuff.

like i said... just do the best you can and then thinking positive is all you can do thereafter :)
  5. That just happen to me over the weekend, I was befriended by a couple and then jacked for my purse after I had invited them in. They totally took advantage of me and now I'm in a bind trying to figure out just how to eat, get to work and pay my bills. What do I do?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.