My mother who has Paranoid Schizophrenia has begun to threaten suicide

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Talia, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talia

Talia New Member

I'm not sure where I should put this thread, so I figured I'd start here. I would appreciate any advice on what I should do in this situation. I'm completely at a loss, because with my mom's mental disorder it's hard to know if any talk I could do would just make things worse.

I should mention that she has been having hallucinations that people have been/are trying to poison her. She's checked herself into several hospitals over the last few months repeatedly, and tells them what she believes is happening. She's enraged that they don't believe her, and she sometimes thinks that they're "in on it" too and are trying to poison her. I'm upset that not only do they fail to fix her medication (which obviously isn't working for her at the moment), but they send her home when she continues to talk like this.

She isn't thinking rationally anymore, and she recently told my sister that she tried to commit suicide by not drinking water for days. Regardless of whether or not this could have caused death, according to my sister mom has more pills than she should, stored up. I don't live at home or close to home any more, and I'm not sure what my next step should be. This is on my mind constantly.

I really could use some advice. Thank you.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

the professionals don't care really they don't they did same to my daughter sent her out on the streets in a psychotic way. The only thing i think you can do is call police let then know your mother is unsafe maybe going thru the courts will get dam professionals to do their jobs. Phone ambulance again and again until they do do something. Go to a different hospital away from where you are i have done all thes things as well. Time to get a new pdoc as well if this one is ignoring her cries for help. i am in the mist of getting my duaghter i hope a new pdoc one that does care truly. I am sorry you too are putin this position of seeing the medical professioanls fail again. Phone police or ambulance let them know your mother is not safe okay
  3. Talia

Talia New Member

First off, thank you for your advice and input! I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a similar situation, with the healthcare professionals seemingly failing to do their job.

The thing that worries me the most about taking action, calling an ambulance or the police, is that with the delicate state my mom has been in I'm concerned that this might do more harm that good. I'm scared to death of pushing her over that edge. I'm not sure what the Police could do what the Hospital staff couldn't these close to 30 (approximate guess) times that she's gone back to the hospital on her own over the last few months. I don't consider Police to be very proficiently trained in how to treat and how not to treat someone who is depressed or has something as complicated as Paranoid Schizophrenia.

An ambulance would only bring her to the hospital, which is again what she's been doing on her own. They will likely continue to send her home. She's tried at least 3 different hospitals on her own, because she starts to distrust the staff of the one that she goes to. She sees conspirators trying to do her harm everywhere.

Another thing is that my sister is the closest to my mom at the moment, and probably has the best chance to help her or prevent her from doing anything hasty (she also still lives at home with mom). She told my sister about these thoughts, not me. If I act on it, this might jeopardize any trust between them, and my sis' chances of helping mom. I'm hoping to discover some useful advice in these forums that I might be able to pass on to my sister in order to help her deal with the situation better, without ruining her chances now as they are.

Not only am I scared to take action for fear of messing things up beyond repair, but I'm scared that doing nothing will lead to the worst. I'm hoping to find a middle ground that might help. It's very difficult.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Get you sister to phone your mothers pdoc and allicit his or her help The pdoc needs to change moms meds up if this doctor is not helping then get a new one tell sister to ask the doctor to help her okay take care.
  5. Talia

Talia New Member

Okay. Thank you so much again for your reply. It's very appreciated! I'm feeling a lot of despair about this.
  6. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Hey welcome to SF.
    My mother also suffers from a lot of problems and has threatened to kill herself multiple times, so I understand how difficult it can be if you'd like to talk. :hug:
  7. TJ

TJ Staff Alumni

welcome to SF i hope u can find some answers here
  8. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

:hiya: welcome to the forum I hope you find the help and support you need.

Take Care

9. Soul of a Dragon

Soul of a Dragon Well-Known Member

I am not sure if this will help at all, but I will try :)

How about you find a Doctor/Therapist who cares? Its easy to see when a person is genuine.

Talk to the person as he who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.