My Music Career-31 Years In a Nutshell

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Godsdrummer, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

1978. 7th grade. Friend of mine asks me if I would like to join the local drum and bugle corps he was in. I said no way. He said that you get to travel and meet girls too. I said, sign me up!

1978-1981-First drum corps experience. Corps was a powerhouse in the 60's and 70's. By the time I joined they were on their last legs. Corps died out in 1981. By that time we were just doing parades.

1980-1984-High school years
    Was in Pep band, Jazz Band all 4 years. Also did pit orchestra work for the musicals we did. Also did some pro gigs playing in wedding bands, and community playhouse orchestra's etc.

1981-1985-Second Drum Corps experience. Joined this corps at their prime. We were a powerhouse. 1983, we made finals at DCI Midwest Championships. Since world championships were 2 weeks afterwards, traditionally, whoever made finals at DCI Midwest, made finals at the world championships. Finals were the top 12 corps. We played in front of 20,000 people that night. We placed 9th.

At the world championships we placed 16th and didnt make finals. Devasting to say the least.

1984-1985-First Rock band. This was during my brief stint at college. We were an experimental rock act. We mainly did original music we recorded in the music studio at the school of music. We also did gigs on campus.

1986-Passed auditions for US Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps and enlisted in the US Marines. Couldnt make it thru boot camp.

1986-1988 2nd rock band. This one got me close. We recorded an album and it was sold in local music stores. We even knew some people in the business who were successful at the time. For whatever reasons the band folded.

1988-2007 Retired

2007-Recorded a KISS cover with some online friends from a kiss fan forum.

2009-? Drummer for local church praise band.
  2. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i love that song that you have in your signature. that song has touched my heart since the first time i've heard it. it's so awesome that you are playing drums for your church now. i'm jealous of those who can play instruments, but i must admit i have always been a singer. i started singing solo's in church when i was just 8 yrs old. i thought it would be a one time thing. ha i was wrong, but that's ok. have fun and take care
  3. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Thanks Rhino!
  4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

31 years... That a very long time :laugh: hope you have a good time with music! I wish I could play myself, but I'm hopeless. I tried drums yesterday at school and I can't even hold the drumsticks right, lol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.