My nephew

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Jazzymom, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Jazzymom

Jazzymom New Member

My 23 year old nephew committed suicide Jan. 4th, 2011 and it has been a month now. He was a beautiful, smart, loved member of my family. He had a whole life ahead of him and I don't understand why he did this.

People don't like to talk about suicide so they don't call to ask how you are doing. Suicide is a very lonely place.
  2. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

im sorry for your loss, gain strength from the fact that there are so many people here that understand, lean on their shoulders, we are here.
  3. Jazzymom

Jazzymom New Member

My community or in real life friends don't ever just check on me. I have been lucky to have 2 on line friends who reached out to me.

my therapist said maybe I ought to see if there are suicide support groups in my area.
  4. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

jazzymom I'm so sorry for your loss...
    you are so right that people don't bother to see how you're doing..
    I lost my son just over 13 months ago and friends and family all went in a puff of smoke after the funeral..
    I highly recommend you seek counseling and/or find a support group where there are others who understand how you are feeling..
    suicide leaves such an indescribable grief....there is no word to describe how bad it is..
    there are a few of us here who do understand what you are going through..
    please take care of yourself..
  5. Jazzymom

Jazzymom New Member

Thanks! I just can't seem to get beyond or wrap my head around what he did. My kids don't understand what he did. My parents don't want to talk about what he did. His mother and father are beyond grief.

I have a therapist I been seeing for the last 6 months for depression and I was about to stop seeing her because my depression with medication was under control but then this.
  6. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about your nephew, I can only imagine the pain you must be in.

I know what you mean about people not wanting to discuss it and not understanding. When my best friend ended it his mother disappeared and everyone else at school got told he had moved away and i wasn't allowed to inform them otherwise. I was sent to live elsewhere to 'get over it' even though it wasnt a topic anyone would discuss with me where i was living. Counselling a few years later did help though.