My obesity

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Atheist Demon, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

One of my 99 problems is that I am obese. I weigh 349 pounds last time I checked. I have borderline diabetes, and my doctor said to prevent it, I need to love at least 70 pounds. I am not active at all. And one reason is because I have been depressed since October 2004 which is almost 4 years and depression affects your energy. So I got tired VERY easily. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family. My dad has it, his sister, my mom's mom died December 31, 2007 from Diabetes-related sores. And as a African-American it doubles. But it is VERY hard to stop eating. I go 20 hours not eating, then will eat probally a pound of food in one setting. I was once skinny when I left a boot camp, but I gained it back less than 5 months later. But I also think ppl judge me and girls don't talk to me b/c my weight (and probally my color).

2. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Try become abit active, even if it's 1 or 2 hours a week, it's better then nothing.
    Go for a little run or do some cycling. At first it will be hard and you will tire quickly and recover slowly but that's normal. After a couple of weeks, it will get easier.

3. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

You shouldnt stop with eating it only causes binging and when you binge you probly will eat bad,fat,salty,high cal food, just food that is easy to grab, you dont have to prepare. Cant your doctor bring you in contact with a dietist, because I can give you tips, but Im not an expert and everyone is different. And being more active, exercising more is always good for you. I dont know what to say, you should eat properly tho, because diabetes can get worser because of not eating good enough. I was bulimic and probly because of the way I ate etc i have diabetes now, but im too scared to let it check >.< Just do it the healthy way, its the best, you dont wanna deal with an eating disorder if you already have 99 problems >.<

4. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

It is possible to turn around diabetes, type 2 that is. The first, and most important step for many forms of illness is recognizing you have a problem, and telling your mind to overcome it, never let that focus slip, ever, or you've already lost.

Its the same with weight, you know what you have to do, use your mind to discipline your body. It can be done, millions have done it, its your turn.

5. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

I have been obese all my life. It is a daily war I battle with food and exercise. Food always wins, and exercise always loses.
    Feel free to PM me if you like.

6. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

Hi Atheist Demon
    I know what you are going through, I've been overweight almost my entire life and am also depressed. Last I checked I was 301lbs and might be a even a bit heavier now. One step I took was finding some support from other people who can relate to my problems. I went online and looked up a weight loss community so I have plenty of people to help me along. Many of them inspire me and help out with my lack of motivation that comes with depression. I'm following the Atkins diet and I've found it quite easy to compared to most other diets. Calorie counting always made me feel deprived. You still can't eat whatever you want, but you normally feel fuller longer from the protein and fat that is consumed. People are more than willing to help you out, you just have to reach out to them like you did here.

I've also lived a sedentary life for the past two years, which is a big factor in my weight gain. It seems so easy to gain weight and so hard to lose. The only thing you can do is start a diet and get some exercise, cardio preferably. I'm buying a bicycle soon and I want to ride it to the local gym every other day. It's a four mile round trip so I should see the extra weight I have slowly disappear. You have to make up your mind that it's time for some change or nothing will ever change. Take baby steps, learn to get some exercise everyday and eat small meals throughout each day instead of binging. Something low impact would probably be best to start out with for exercise. Like walking, swimming or bicycling. Exercise helps with depression, so if you force yourself to exercise it should make you feel a bit better. It will definitely be tough at first but your body will get use to it and thank you. It takes hard work and dedication, but you can do this, you can lose weight!

7. LostMyMind

By the way, anyone who sees you different because of the color of your skin is an asshole and are not worthy of your friendship.

8. Atheist Demon

It is hard to be active cause I just run out of energy real fast. But as far as the race part. Oklahoma is a very racist place. (especailly Sapulpa and Glenpool). As well as Rogers, Arkansas where my mom lives.

9. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

First of all mate, if your regularly starving yourself for "20 hours" its going to have the oposite effect of what you want, your bodys tricked into thinkng theres no food around and your metabolism slows even more meaning when you finally do eat its just going to end up as more fat.
    You need to eat regularly, healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, all the usuall shit without any snacks, then you need to get active. I don't mean run out and join the local football team like, unless you really wanna try it anyway.
    But if you can go to a gym, maybe with a friend and start lifting weights and doing some cardio your weight will go right down very quickly, even just buying a set of dumbells where you can adjust the weight on them and sticking by will help.

10. diver200

diver200 Senior Member

I too have battled my weight my entire life. I eat from stress and depression, and since I'm stressed about being depressed, I eat a lot. Ivan is right though, starvation diets do nothing to help, you need to eat regularly. I would suggest a book called Bodies for Life. He talks about this type of diet, and some resistance training exercises to help you burn calories while you are just sitting there. For the meantime, you and i can start a walking program. My doctor said just yesterday that we burn the same number of calories from walking as running, it just takes longer to do it when we walk. Start slow. Move up a bit each week. 10% is a good move up figure.

Of course, its easy for me to say, I am obese at the moment myself. I will say this.... and no offense intended to Oklahomans..... when i lived there i noticed a lot of obesity. In my office alone out of 40 people we had six that were morbidly obese. I'm talking like 400 pounds or more. One of them had a heart attack after I left. One, who weighed in at 450. She had bipass surgery and now she looks fantastic (she sends me pics). She weighs in at about 180 last I knew. Not too shabby.

Hun, i know it is hard, but keep your spirits up. start with a walk for one block. then move to two... and so on. Good luck. PM me if you want to talk more. Maybe we can support each other!!!!

11. LostMyMind

Once you start getting some type of exercise (some low impact cardio: walking, swimming or bicycling) you'll start to build better endurance so you won't run out of energy as fast.

12. Atheist Demon

as of now I do eat regularly, and hopefully I will lose some by next week when I weigh in.

13. LostMyMind

That's great! Losing one to two pounds a week is a realistic goal. Good luck on your weight loss journey. :smile:

14. Gabby88

Gabby88 Member

dont starve yourself... i know it sometime gives a high and a sense of control but really, its just as bad as stuffing your face. as soon as you feel like binging walk to the other end of the house, or put some music on, anything that will give your head an oppertunity to change its mind!

15. PitchDespair

PitchDespair Well-Known Member

I use to be obese...I lost the weight pretty quickly though, done with alot of research.

if anyone still wants to lose weight and is having problems, pm me...i might have an advice or two

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.