my own faith issues. help would be nice.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Allo.., Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

I wrote this to an 'ask a pastor' kinda thing online tonight and i thought i might as well post it here to see if i can get any responses.
    help would be great.
    have a nice day :)

i've considered myself a christian for as long as i can remember.
    but what *is* a christian?
    am i cheating the christian religion by calling myself one, when really i don't believe all of what the bible and churches seem to say?

I suppose the only thing that keeps me calling myself a christian is that I believe Jesus was sent to this earth, as the son of God, that he died for our sins and was resurrected.

That, and i enjoy church amazingly. I suppose I'm scared to say I'm not a christian in case it means I can't go to church anymore. I love church! I feel so great there. I believe in prayer, but I'm not sure I believe God is the 'being' that christians believe he is. Sometimes I think He's more of an... inside man. That He's deep inside us.

I'm really open to ideas from other religions. I suppose I believe that God created the universe, but it's mostly because it means that I don't have to think about it too much. No, I do believe that. God created the universe and God... is.
    But part of me thinks that I only beileve it because I have no other explanation for it.

For example; I don't believe it's necessary to wait until you are married until you have sex. I do believe that it can be a special thing, but really it's what you make of it.
    I believe everyone should make their own decisions in life and that they grow from their mistakes.
    I don't believe that 'unbelievers' should face any punishment. Often it is circumstance that they don't follow the christian religion. How about all those children growing up in pakistan and who will never see anything but the muslim religion? Should they be punished for opportunities that never found them?
    I also don't believe that homosexuals should be punished and excluded! People do not decide to become homosexual, it is the levels of chemicals in their bodies. If you were to believe that all gays were evil and should be condemned isn't that saying that God decided before they were born that the deserved this punishment? You contradict yourself if you also believe that all children are pure and innocent. Those children are born gay, but they, like heterosexual children, are not interested in others yet.
    It has been proven that your sexuality is pre-determined. Why do we exclude those who are a minority?

So do these beliefs make me not a christian?
    Do I shame the christian name by admitting these things for the all the world to hear?

If I shake my head to many things the bible says, but I still believe Jesus is the only Son of God, that He was dead and buried and rose again, only to save us from our sins, and also that our God is the only God, am I a christian or not?

Thank you for your time,
    I do hope you don't feel I'm confronting you, I'm truly curious to know if I shouldn't be calling myself a christian.

God bless,
    Ally.

2. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I'll start by saying that you're the type of person I wish all religious people were like. Someone who questions what they are told not to prove that it is wrong but simply to challenge it to be the best it can be.

I would say you are full of faith and in life that is what actually matters. I don't know if you have seen any of my posts before but it's pretty easy to see that I am anti-religion. That is I'm against the man made organizations that say you have to follow our rules or else you will be punished. You seem to be questioning this aspect of your religion and it is a good thing. Asking the questions you do and thinking the way you say does not make you any less Christian than anyone else. If everything one religion said was actually the whole truth you wouldn't have alternate religions and you most certainly wouldn't have the offshoots of certain religions where there are arguments over the smallest and least important points.

You have faith in a higher power that helps you live your life and you respect your fellow humans. That really is the only things that matter.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think you can call yourself a Christian while not adhering to the Bible. The Bible is filled with contradictions. The old testament compared to what Jesus says... it's like two completely different Gods. I've found many more answer in the book A Course In Miracles, channelled by Jesus.
    I believe in Christ and God but I think the Bible is like 75% bullshit.
    I don't believe in everything my Church believes either. For instance, they taught something on how to create money for yourself, that God is in supply of our money. I don't think God gives a shit about how much money we have, God is unconditional love, and that is all we need.
    Anyway, you're not alone, and fuck the traditional angry God.

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus was the son of God, died for our sins and was resurrected from the dead and who also strives to be Christ-like in their everyday lives.

Also, the idea that God lives inside us is definitely in the Bible. After the ascension of Jesus, the Holy Spirit came down upon the disciples in the form of tongues of fire. This is known as the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which as you know, is a part of the holy Trinity and therefore God.

Also, your beliefs about homosexuality and other religions has no bearing on whether or not you are a true Christian, IMO. Ultimately, it is God who decides those things anyway. It seems to me that you are acting in a non-judgemental fashion, which is a very important aspect of the New Testament.

5. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

Has anyone watched the movie "Religulous"? It asks plenty of questions regarding religion but may come off as offensive to a lot of people. In the end its just questions, and questions that i believe are completely legitimate.

On a side note i dont think our religious / spiritual beliefs should define us. Our actions should. If living your life according to a certain book/belief/outlook doesnt make you happy, than its obviously not right for you. And the otehr way around.

6. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

You're a Christian, just a bad Christian. Your beliefs contradict the bible.

Atleast you recognize this. Most Christians just ignore all the verses they don't like, and only pay attention to the ones that make them feel fuzzy inside.

Since you're open-minded enough to realize this, I would suggest taking further steps and begin to question Christianity itself. I'm guessing you were raised Christian?

7. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I'd say you're still a Christian. :hug:

TDM

8. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Allo... I've recently taken a break from God because of the BS I'm putting up with at the moment which He could easily rectify, but lets look at your post point by point.

Point 1:
    am i cheating the christian religion by calling myself one, when really i don't believe all of what the bible and churches seem to say?

Answer: no. Churches don't agree on what the Bible says. Look at the devide between catholic and protestant, all based on the translation of the word "rock". All that matters is reading the bible and accepting your own truth from that. Personally, I think the first half of Genesis is an alagory and that people who treat it like historical fact are muppets, but then people will disagree with me.

Point 2:
    I suppose the only thing that keeps me calling myself a christian is that I believe Jesus was sent to this earth, as the son of God, that he died for our sins and was resurrected.

Answer: And thats all that matters. jesus 2 commandments were "love the Lord your God before all others" and "Love your neighbour as yourself". Remember what jesus said to the apostle Simon when asking "who do you say I am?". By believing this, your accepting the main fundamental belief in Christ, therefore your a christian. End of.

Point 3:
    That, and i enjoy church amazingly. I suppose I'm scared to say I'm not a christian in case it means I can't go to church anymore.

Answer: Anyone who tells you you cant come to church, even though you believe in jesus, is a fucking idiot.

Point 4:
    but I'm not sure I believe God is the 'being' that christians believe he is. Sometimes I think He's more of an... inside man. That He's deep inside us.

Answer: Your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Of course God is inside you, he's everywhere. Think of him like sand at the beach, he gets everywhere.

Point 5:
    For example; I don't believe it's necessary to wait until you are married until you have sex. I do believe that it can be a special thing, but really it's what you make of it.

Answer: every fundamentalist bangs on about the sacrament of marrage and cites Adam and Eve as the best example of this. My question to you is this, what part of Adam and Eves relationship, as portrayed in Genesis, resembles modern married life? All that matters is two people love each other and come together before God, you don't have to be married in legal terms, just in love.

Point 6:
    I don't believe that 'unbelievers' should face any punishment. Often it is circumstance that they don't follow the christian religion. How about all those children growing up in pakistan and who will never see anything but the muslim religion? Should they be punished for opportunities that never found them?

Answer: This is a tricky one, and one thats not agreed upon by most christians. Generally, the consensus is that the knowledge of Christ must be presented to people, and they must be allowed to make their own decisions, yes or no as it were. As for what happens when they dont know about it, let me consult with my priest and get you an answer.

Point 7:
    I also don't believe that homosexuals should be punished and excluded! People do not decide to become homosexual, it is the levels of chemicals in their bodies. If you were to believe that all gays were evil and should be condemned isn't that saying that God decided before they were born that the deserved this punishment? You contradict yourself if you also believe that all children are pure and innocent. Those children are born gay, but they, like heterosexual children, are not interested in others yet.

Answer: This really fucking winds me up. Gayness is not banned by the Bible, its Sodomy which is. If you look at the time the Bible was written, Sodomy was believed to be quite closely tied in with witchcraft (no, not wicca, Baal worship and stuff). So the trait of Sodomy was tied into witchcraft, which goes against one of the 10 commandments (worship no God but me) and about 3 things in Leviticus. Obviously Sodomy is the primary form of lovemaking for gay people, and the two issues were mashed together.

Ask yourself this. Jesus broke bread with theves, lepers, prostitutes and forgave them all, he even begged for the Pharasee's forgiveness on the cross. Do you really think that he's got a problem with Gay people? God did not have an off day when he programmed homosexuality into the human Genome, the problem arises when people read whats said as a literal truth and ignore the social factors affecting the writing.

Point 8:
    So do these beliefs make me not a christian?
    Do I shame the christian name by admitting these things for the all the world to hear?

Answer: No, dont be daft, of course you dont. Im a catholic, and I beleve in contraception, women priests and homosexuals being accepted into the church.

Point 9: ...snip...am I a christian or not?
    Your a christian if you believe in christ and if you want to make him lord of your life. Thats a choice and a distinction I leave to you

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Hun as a catholic I am in always in strife with the doctrine, because basically thats what it is dogma and doctrine.
    I do not believe that there is no circumstance that makes abortion wrong or right, no matter what the church says, and in no way am I pro abortion but the fact is sometimes abortion is the right thing, sometimes divorce is the right answer.
    Does this make me less of a catholic, less of a christian?
    I believe in God, I believe in Christ and in the main the catholic church, but arguing dogma does not make me a heretic.

10. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

Oh, a fellow Roman! :welcome: :hug:

Well, in my opinion, religion and spirituality must always walk hand-in-hand with common sense. Therefore my motto is:

IN VIRGIN MARY I TRUST!
    (with all the others I use a condom)

:pope:

11. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

But, seriously, Allo. I got a basic Christan religious education but at the age of 16 I nevertheless doubted immorality of seven day weekends, party-animaling, smoking weed and sticking fingers into drunk girls' panties. It took a quite few policemen, social workers and doctors to help me change my mind. Now I guess that it would be less expensive and time-consuming to simply listen what priest said. :eek:ld:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.