My Parents Are Dragging Me Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Godsdrummer

Ok...so my father is a registered sex offender. He served 5 years in prison.

During his stay, he was beaten to within an inch of his life. He lost brain fluid and has suffered permanent terrible brain damage to where he has the mental capacity of a 5 yr old.

My Mom suffers from great terrible depression.

She told me on Saturday that if anything should happen to her, that I can't just leave my Dad to rot in the house they are living in.

My sister will not help.

So....here's the thing. Nursing homes won't take my dad. And.....he can't be admitted into a mental health facility as he doesnt have a mental health issue, he has a physical health issue.

so when the day comes, and if my Mom dies before my Dad does, I will be the one to get stuck taking care of him for the rest of his life.

The only possible bright spot in all of this, is that IF he can be diagnosed with a mental health issue, then he could be committed. My Mom's phsychiatrist has told her, that if it comes to that, he will diagnos my father with a mental health issue.

Still...who knows...and.....this whole thing really stresses me, as I now wonder about my future afterall.

Ok...so my father is a registered sex offender. He served 5 years in prison.
:hug: This must be hard for you.

During his stay, he was beaten to within an inch of his life. He lost brain fluid and has suffered permanent terrible brain damage to where he has the mental capacity of a 5 yr old.
:sad:

My Mom suffers from great terrible depression.

She told me on Saturday that if anything should happen to her, that I can't just leave my Dad to rot in the house they are living in.

My sister will not help.

So....here's the thing. Nursing homes won't take my dad. And.....he can't be admitted into a mental health facility as he doesnt have a mental health issue, he has a physical health issue.

so when the day comes, and if my Mom dies before my Dad does, I will be the one to get stuck taking care of him for the rest of his life.
I wish I knew what to say :sad:

The only possible bright spot in all of this, is that IF he can be diagnosed with a mental health issue, then he could be committed. My Mom's phsychiatrist has told her, that if it comes to that, he will diagnos my father with a mental health issue.

Still...who knows...and.....this whole thing really stresses me, as I now wonder about my future afterall.
Do you have any other family who might be able to help?
Maybe sit down and write everything down, and see what options you can come up with?

:hug:

killtomorrow

thats fucked! you should not be left with that responsiblity.
if he has a mental capacity of a 5 yr old how can he not be accepted into a mental health facility?

G

Godsdrummer

Because he has a physical ailment, and not a mental disability. Unless that shrink will daignose him.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
If he has mentallity of a 5 year old then he has a mental illness he is unable to care for himself. There is no doubt it is a mental illness and i am glad your mothers psychiatrist can see this. I would ask him to diagnose your father now so he can get into a institution now to take the pressure off your mother and you. Ask your mother psychiatrist for support now as this will greatly decrease your moms depression and yours and help everyone especaillly your father. Let us know if psychiatrist will do this tell him it is important to settle this now take care

WildCherry

Owner Emeritus
Mary's got a good idea. Maybe the psychiatrist could diagnose your father with a mental illness now; that way, it's already written down in his chart, so that if anything happens, it's already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00