my particular flavor of depression

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by satyesu, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satyesu

satyesu Member

nihilism, if you will. i get thoughts daily that anything i feel might give meaning to my life really doesn't. relationships end, anything i write will be forgotten, and experiences like fun or love pass all to quickly. everything about life on earth, regardless of whether there's an afterlife, is left behind with death, and with the pending red dwarf of the sun, everything will die. what's the point? living in the moment is irrelevant when the moment passes.

2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Satyesu and welcome to the forum. If you want to chat anytime pm me anytime. I'll always get back to you as soon as I can. Interesting flavour.:smile:

3. satyesu

satyesu Member

ach, i'm not used to this style of profile. would you pm me your contact info?

4. Ztemark

Ztemark New Member

I've invested a lot of time into that mindset.

The best I've been able to counter it with is Hedonism. And that only barely works.

5. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

There's a branch of cognitive therapy that deals with the problems of depression rooted in nihilism. It's existential cognitive therapy. Check it out, it really works. I mean for me, I'm a cynical romantic by myself. I'm totally existentialist in my life and when alone I have no value put in my life.

For me, working on human connections was a great start. But check out existential therapy.

6. satyesu

satyesu Member

any idea where to start?

7. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Hanging out with people is the very best thing you can do for yourself. Go anywhere and make conversation with anyone. Ask coworkers to do something after work, ask classmates to do something after school. Call up family members and shoot the shit. Just do something that will keep you occupied.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

each moment can taste amazing once i nearly died and realised i'd been struggling with death for ages.

each moment can be filled with meaning when you know truly, what death and loss is.

i don't think it's a case of giving meaning but to fully realise oneself and one's capability when alive.

you say everything ends, which means there's no point. but surely that's exciting? when something 'ends' something begins. and each moment can have so much meaning if you see it.

9. satyesu

satyesu Member

i know having fun can be addictive guys, but intellectually i still have to agree with my depression that life is unnecessary. say, for instance, the meaningful relationships i make in life carry on afterward. i don't imagine i couldn't meet people in the afterlife anyway, and even if that's true i'd maybe be alone for eternity just for the chance to KNOW.

10. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Well-Known Member

Because we don't know how long the moment is.
    Since the first time I attempted suicide...
    My youngest child has grown into a wonderful young man.
    My wife got cancer and I was there for her.
    I had a heart attack and she was there for me.
    I rebuilt an antique car.
    I got a college degree.
    It's been some moment.
    Now my wife needs me again and I will be there.

11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Personally, I don't think there is a point. But nihilism tends to be associated with pessimism. To realize that there is no point, and to accept that, I think can bring peace, and then it won't matter what you do. You know it won't matter, and I think happiness can come of that. I think nihilism and buddhism have a lot in common as well. Maybe check that out.
    :heart:

12. satyesu

satyesu Member

'Being alive is like being in an amusement park for a soul. You are trapped in a body with an isolated mind that does not know what is going to come next. some use it as a learning process while others simply enjoy the ride. When you die, your soul is free to access all of the knowledge learned by all of mankind. What fun is it knowing how and when everything is going to happen. some say you are going to be held accountable for all that you do, when you die. You are going to be your harshest judge when you get to review your life. You plan this trip before you come, but you are not allowed to see your itinerary while your here, that is where deja vu comes from.' I found that helpful, even if it's not true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.