My pet rat hates me!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by ali-wali, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ali-wali

ali-wali Well-Known Member

I've just bought a pet rat, named him baby his balls are massiiiiive haha. Anyway I got him because I felt lonely and decided having a nice little pet might make me feel abit more wanted, but oh nooo he bites me to the point where my finger draws blood! :O so I renamed him Damien, I swear his eyes have got redder :) That is all random rant I know I wish I had a dog!! stupid allergies.

2. alison

alison Well-Known Member

hmm.. maybe he's nervous? I don't know much about rats, but can they get used to being handled by a person? I'm sorry he bites you, that sounds scary!!

3. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

He may be lonely, rats are quite social and do better in pairs at minimum. They can be kept in singles though. My rat bit me once, afterwards i swear she saw me as some sort of all youcan eat buffett. She was absoloutely fine once you had her out of the cage nice as pie but inside she was pure evil.

4. ali-wali

Yeah I think he's just very dominant he acted that way in the shop bullying his brothers! but i fell for his curly white furr not often rats have curly fur haha. And thanks for your advise hun, i've been speaking with a breeder but she's not keen on me buying one of hers incase damien attacks him. Going in a few days and she's going to introduce the two for me! And it is scary! he just pounces lol! bless, guess we both alone :( xxx

5. Borrowed time*

No they dont usually have curly hair, have you got any pics?
    If he wasnt getting on with his brothers you could be looking at a blood bath if you try to introduce a rat from a different family so take it slow if you still decide to do it.
    Good luck

6. ali-wali

Yeah I have got picss how do I put them on here? he looks so cute when he's sleeping! And I love it when rats yawn n stretch out their front legs. And yeah I'm so nervous about introducing them, more for the breeders 8 wk old. xx

7. Borrowed time*

use manage attachments, you should be able to down load it into the post
    You had me intrigued about what type of rat you have, as far as i can tell a curly coat means he could be a rex

8. ali-wali

It said it had failed but i've put a picture of him on dp for you! He looks so innocent haha! he lovess cheese and onion crisps :)

9. Borrowed time*

Awwww he looks so sweet. Cheese and onion crisps lol
    From what i can see he could very well be a rex, you should look into it.
    Mine just liked finger bless her. I named her Bitch after that incident. I dont have my rats any more, they both passed away last year but they are lovely and intelligent pets.

10. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Omg freaking cute! It's like a lamb!

I want a lamb.....

In my belly.

11. ali-wali

Aww I'd be gutted if Damien passed and I've only had him a month, although I am scared of him I love watching him climb alover his cage and how giddy he gets when he hears wrappers open it's soo funny. And yeah they are very intelligient one of my old friends had a female rat called tricksy and she was amazing, she loved sitting on are shoulders and we'd carry her around in are huddys! I'm loooking into buying a really big cage for him to get more exercise he's grown so much in the past month. and when I got him from the petshop the lad dragged him out by his tail, i just wanted to get him out of there! No wonder he's so against me lol. I'll let you know how we get on at the rat breeders fingers and toes crossed!! xxxx

12. ali-wali

Aww lamb's are cute, I went to a safari park a few weeks ago and found a completely white deer with curly fur, looked like a lamb in disguise hehe!

13. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Aww cuteeee ^_^

14. Borrowed time*

You will soon get used to him and he will do the same with you. Is he a baby then?
    He dragged him out by his tail?WTF!! Bless him, hes not against you then just people in general.
    Yeah please do let me know, Thanx

A bit random but i used to have a dwarf rabbit who loved to sit on your shoulder and watch TV. I miss :(

15. ali-wali

No I got him when he was 3 months old, he was the youngest one in the pet shop, I'd of asked to hold a few more but I didn't want any of them getting taken out like that, it made me want to punch him! I was telling myself for ages to wait for a proper breeder to pop up and get a rat from weeks old but I just couldn't wait when I saw how quirky n unique he looked! And what are trolls lol? An emotion says 'don't feed the trolls' i dont get it haha! I'm so dumb xxx

16. ali-wali

And aww that sounds well cute! I want a pet like that man!! haha I'm just gna wait till I move out and get a yorkie terrier, there the giddiest dogs ever, noone could be sad with one of them about hehexxxx

17. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

They arre pretty cute but nothing beats the bedlington terriors, my friend showed me them the other day. lamb in dog form!

18. Borrowed time*

It was cute until he was sat on my nieces shoulder one day watching TV he looked at her cheek, looked away, bit her cheek then looked away again like nothing happened. I couldnt stop laughing, it was her birthday as well lol
    I prefer bigger dogs to small ones, id love a burmese moutain dog. So cuddly.
    Trolls are people who post purely to cause trouble or get a reaction, usually a negative one.

19. Tonks

Tonks Active Member

Curly fur is quite common, actually. It results from the rex gene, which isn't a recessive trait. ..

Anyway, I concur, that it is absolutely need to be kept in pairs or more. A single rat can be kept, but it isn't healthy for them in the long run. They need the socialization to stay mentally healthy. A human cannot interact with a rat 24/7. A partner rat can always be there for play, grooming, and cuddling. I am not being anthropomorphic either, they are social animals requiring another member of their species to achieve this.

Anyway, I provide lots of treats and interaction from day one. I have two female rats right now, both quite young. One I actually got from a friend who irresponsibly bred a female, and was surprised when the female devoured most of the litter. I hand raised the sole survivor from when she was blind and deaf, she even went to my college classes with me snuggled in a fleece wrap with a hot water bottle so I could feed her every two hours round the clock. Now she is 8 weeks old and an absolute peach and loooooves people. I got her a companion once I was certain of her sex, and her little lady buddy was also incredibly sweet from the first day, if a bit nervous. You just have to be gentle and patient.

Also, there are different types of 'bites'. I doubt you were truly severely bitten. There is the food nip, which usually involves a lick and a quick, light nip that never draws blood. An OMG YOU STARTLED ME that causes a surface wound, it may be a scratch or bleed a little. And then there is the rattie woke up on the wrong side of the bed and don't mess with me bite. This causes significant and deep tissue damage. Their incisors are actually flexible and when they bite incredibly hard, they bend and cause more damage. I've had the unfortunate run in with an angry African Soft fur rat mama, she latched on. All I could do was hold her with my other hand and wait for her to let go, since pulling her off would have been unwise.

Good luck with your little fellow.

20. ali-wali

Aww yeah, I also like maltese dogs, or any toy dog. Just so cute! God I cnt wait to have one haha, even if my eyes do swell up and look deformed for the rest of my life :D anyway gonna have a play on sims3 i'm abit of a geek have a good morning/night/day whereever your from lol xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.