My phobia.

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by CherylSparkle, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CherylSparkle

CherylSparkle Member

We have reached the time of year in which I dread. I spend the whole year trying to prepare myself for these next few weeks, never with success. The reason I hate this time so much is simply the fireworks.

I have Phonophobia- the fear of loud noises. For me the only noises included in this are:

• The popping of balloons. But my fear of them popping has lead to a fear of balloons in general. If I go into a party and see balloons I will be on edge all night, counting the minutes until I can leave.
    • Explosions. You know when you go to the theatre or some other kind of show and they just can't resist using Pyrotechnics? I LOVE Wicked the musical, but there is one scene in it that uses an explosion so the build up to this scene leaves me so anxious every time.
    • And of course- FIREWORKS. The worst of them all.
    Which brings me back to why I hate this time of year. Every night without a doubt from now until the 5th of November there are always fireworks being set off round about my house. Always usually young teenagers who have gotten their hand on some and think it's amazing to set them off all night long, every night. I actually woke up at 6am a few mornings ago after having a nightmare about fireworks, only to see and hear fireworks being set off a few gardens down. AT 6AM! I can't leave the house, I spend all my time curled up in my bed with my cat shaking away and crying.
    It's annoying because Halloween is one of my favourite holidays and I can't actually go out and get the full enjoyment of a build up to Halloween because of the stupid fireworks.

Anyway, I just had to share this. No one I know can understand the fear I have of loud noises and always make me feel guilty for not going out with them to enjoy the many firework displays or not enjoying a party because there are balloons. They can't seem to understand how much I would love to be able to do all of this, but I just simply can't! I don't choose to hate the big pretty, sparkly, colourful sky explosions!!!

I figured if there's one place I can share my thoughts without being judged, it's SF.

Do any of you have the same phobia or even just a phobia that other people can't seem to understand?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I have lots of phobias people would probably mock, but I think that's mean. I also fear loud noises, I find them jarring and that can make me nervous. I also love fireworks but hate the loudness! I don't know where it stems from, I feel the same way when people are fighting, I feel a panic attack start to come on. I wish I had tips to help you cope with this. Maybe try earplugs and see if they help? Or maybe listen to music or find another way to distract yourself. I don't know if I have helped much, but I want you to know you're not alone in this.

3 people like this.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am also afraid of loud noises. Thunder gives me panic attacks, fireworks scare the bejesus out of me, planes too make me feel scared. You are not alone in this. I never know there was a name for this until now, I guess you learn something new every day.

4. CherylSparkle

CherylSparkle Member

Thank you for the tips! I have thought about actually attending a display whilst listening to music as I do enjoy watching fireworks, but I get so fearful just thinking about going! I'm not sure what caused my fear either, my parents say i've been scared of loud noises since before I could even crawl. Must be something that happened when I was a young baby!

5. CherylSparkle

CherylSparkle Member

Yes! Thunder is another one I forgot to mention! I am fine with the lightning but the thunder causes me to panic! I'm sorry that you have the same fear, but i'm happy to find someone who understands! I think the main reason people don't understand my fear of loud noises is because I don't have a back story to it. Like I have no idea where it's come from.
    And I didn't know it had a name until a few months back. I was trying to prove to someone that it is a fear and found the name for it! Haha.

6. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Hey Cheryl, I'm sorry you have go through that, I don't experience fears of loud noises but I have some phobias other peolple find weird that I'm kind of embarrassed about. The worst is my fear of peolple, it's not that I'm that shy, it's just that I have trouble feeling connected to peolple and when I hear and see crowds of people and I literally get physically ill with lonliness. I dread the times of years like Halloween or big football game days because of all the people around making me feel like there's somthing wrong with me. Anyways Im sorry if I ranted too much here and I just wanted to say your not alone in being terribly unhappy for no good reasons In certain situations

7. CherylSparkle

CherylSparkle Member

I to have a fear of being around people! It's something I am slowly working on, as of course I need to be around people on a day to day basis. I sometimes think being in a crowded room can be the loneliest of times. So don't feel like there is anything wrong with you! You are perfectly normal!

However, I love attending events where I can be in costume. I'm not sure why my fear all of a sudden disappears, but when I am playing a character I can sometimes be the most confident person!

8. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Thanks for making me feel normal, for me its not just the awkwardness, it's just this feeling I've had since I was a little kid that I just don't belong. Maybe wearing a costume would help though, I feel kind of stupid saying this but I didn't know they had Halloween in Scotland Haha.

9. CherylSparkle

CherylSparkle Member

Hahaa! Yes, us Scots enjoy Halloween as much as everyone else! However, it's not celebrated as much now as what it was back in the day, which is extremely sad I feel.
    And you should try attending an event you can wear a costume at some point! It's completely nerve-racking leading up to it, i'm not going to lie. But once i'm at the events I get a sudden burst of confidence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.