mY Poor Poor kitty cat HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Kishin, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kishin

Kishin Member

I have a cat that has been sick for over a month now. He will not eat or drink on his own, I have been force feeding and watering him and he seemed to be getting better then he crashed. so I took him to the vets again. They gave him inter venous and glucose and he seemed to be happier, even went to his food dish (did not eat, but smelled it) They did some blood work and X-rayed him. said they are not really sure what is wrong, could do more tests. His one kidney seems to be 1.5 x's bigger then his other, but they can survive on one kidney. they are not sure if he has something in his stomach or not (could not really tell) They said I could do more tests and or operate which is way expensive and unfortunately do not have the money for that. I was suppose to have him euthanized on Thursday afternoon but could not do it cause he was up and happy for a change. Then it was suppose to be on Friday morning but could not do it. He has not ate since Thursday and I have not feed him. I was thinking that I would leave him be cause he seemed so happy. but now he is crashing again. He does not look like he is in pain just very weak and tired. I don't know if I should try to feed him again and put him fluids or put him to rest. I was thinking if he does not want to eat on his own he is telling me he wants to die, am I right thinking that? I don't know what to do, should I help him or put him to sleep? Could you please help me think this over. I am so upset and can't sleep I need help PLEASE.

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:hug: I really feel for you.

OK. Do you have any low-cost vets around that you could take him to, if you don't want to euthanise him? You could ask how much it would be and if you could afford it.

If you can't afford surgery- how do you feel about watching him suffer and die slowly? Is there a part of you that thinks that he will get better and stay alive , although his prognosis is so poor? Maybe a part of you hopes that he'll be okay after a while?

But the prognosis is poor, and the vet did suggest putting him to sleep. If he hasn't eaten since Thursday that's a long time for a cat to go without food, and he will crash whether it be from lack of food or his illness, which sounds like it's gone on for a long time (a month).

Think of it this way- what help can you offer him? Can you help him live? If you can't then, maybe it's best to put him to sleep. Otherwise he's just going to die slowly and painfully.

3. Kishin

Kishin Member

Thanks for replying. No I can't sit here and watch him die slowly. I just feel so guilty for not being able to help him (surgery that is).

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I know, it sounds like such a difficult position to be. But you're not to blame that you can't help him, there's a possibility that surgery wouldn't have worked anyway?

I really hope you get through this period OK. Try and treat yourself gently. You sound like you love your cat so much and I'm sure he was cared well by you. Maybe there's a way of saying goodbye and that you love him very much before and after he goes.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You shouldn't let him suffer.. When they uethenize they usually give them something to relax first and then they give them the injection.. We just put one of our dogs to sleep here a couple of months ago and it was hard because she lived a long life 21 years..She was deaf, going blind and had asthma...She finally got to the point where she stopped eating.. Thats when we had her put down..Putting your cat to sleep is the right thing to do..

6. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I can assure you that putting your animal to sleep is not your vets first line of treatment and that he or she arrived at the decision with your cats best interest at heart. Please do not let your cat suffer any further and do what needs to be done. Trust me you will feel better in the long run and will not be plagued with thoughts and memories of your cat suffering.

Also please do not feel guilty about financial constraints that you have. You have done much in the way of testing and diagnostics already and have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars I am certain. It sounds as if you are moving into even more expensive diagnostics that may or may not change the outcome and the next step would involve performing "heroic efforts" that again may not effect the outcome. This is neither far to you nor your precious companion.

I am here for you if you would like to talk just go ahead and PM me. I work with animals everyday and know that you likely are suffering along with your cat so please do what you can even though it is terribly hard.

I wish you the best and again feel free to PM me.

Namaste Bambi

7. Kishin

Kishin Member

Well it has been done. I have murdered my poor kitty by putting him to sleep. RIP special K I love you very much

8. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

you showed your kitty a mercy.Why should it have suffered prolonged?Wherever your kitty is now..he is purring for you..for your incredible love.
    ((hugs))

9. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

:hug: Kishin, you have not murdered your kitty. It's a hard decision to make. The important thing is that I'm sure you're cat is in kitty heaven (or wherever they go) and he knows how much you loved him and miss him now.

:hug:
    A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.