My problems don't seem so bad anymore now that I know what my friend is going through

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by xoCherie, Jun 12, 2012.

1. xoCherie

xoCherie Well-Known Member

My friend has been crying and stressing for the past few days, and only today told me why. His son of eight (my friend is 30) is showing symptoms of Alopecia, which is defined as loss of hair on the body and/or head, and it’s affecting my friend so much. He’s blaming himself, thinking he must be a terrible father for this to have happened, and I don’t know what to do. I want to hug him and tell him it’s not his fault, but he’s pushing me away.
    How do I help someone who’s in so much more pain than me? I won’t know his pain, I don’t have any kids yet, but it is so heart wrenching for me to read his messages…I was almost crying when he first told me and I googled it…
    I’ve made a vow with myself that I’ll shave my hair this Australia Crazy Hair Day, November 23rd, during Alopecia Awareness Week, to help raise funds for research into this illness that affects anyone at any age. Because its not just children stuggling with the loss of hair and the bullying and self esteem struggles that go with it, it’s also teenagers and adults.
    This is one thing I can do to help support my friend and his son. If shaving my head gives them hope, I’m fine with that. Because while my hair grows back, his never will.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Re: My problems don't seem so bad anymore now that I know what my friend is going thr

Hi Cherie,

I am sorry to hear about your friend's son. Alopecia is awful but having it isn't the end of the world, sometimes, hair does grow back. I haven't got alopecia, but after having a series of illnesses my hair dropped out and became brittle, I had to cut my beautiful long hair short and it is now growing back, but at the time it was devastating, almost considered shaving the lot off! Your friend shouldn't blame himself, these things sadly happen and there are a lot of support groups out there for sufferers and their family. One of the most important things to consider is, how does your friends son feel about it?

3. xoCherie

xoCherie Well-Known Member

Re: My problems don't seem so bad anymore now that I know what my friend is going thr

I honestly don't know. I've tried getting my friend to let me come round for an afternoon or to have a movie night but he's pushing me away. I want to talk to him but I don't know how if he won't let me