My psychiatrist says I have clinical depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nicesinging1, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone. I met with college psychiatrist this past Thursday to inquire about whether I indeed have clinical depression and am chemically imbalanced. He asked me bunch of Qs before finally telling me I satisfy 5 out of 9 conditions which is enough to qualify as clinical depression. Regarding, chemical imbalance thing, he said there isn't really official test that determines a person's chemical imbalance but said with clinical depression, I am probably chemically imbalanced as well.
    After 9 years of bout with severe depression, I finally feel relieved that I am officially diagnosed with clinical depression. That I finally know I indeed have an illness, albeit doesn't seem serious to many people unless they go through it themselves.
    Regarding the possibility of taking anti-depressants, he asked me to do a research on it and get back to him in 2 weeks to decide whether to take them or not.
    In the meantime, I am continuing my individual therapy and soon will start group therapy as well. I know it is MY depression, that I am in charge of helping myself to get out of this misery. That is why I am trying anything, trying strenuously, to get better, and ultimately be free from this torturous feeling.
    That is the update of my current life. I wish you guys the best.

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I am glad you took the necessary steps to find this out Hank. Now you have other decisions regarding where to go from here. weigh your options carefully. I am sure you will make the choice that is best for you. Thanks for the update. :hug:

3. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Im happy hun youre seeking help. Keep going and things will improve for you.

4. Sad_Rabbit

Sad_Rabbit Well-Known Member

Good job, it takes courage to see a pdoc for the first time. It's a big huge step forward. Good luck. Rabbit

5. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

Try adjusting your sleep habits (if they are unhealthy, that is) as well as diet (not in cutting calories, just what foods you eat). This might help to some degree.

6. Atiri

Atiri Active Member

Be careful investigationg the side effects of any AD's you would take

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.