My racist dad

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by roksy, Apr 2, 2012.

1. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

This is unbelievable. My dad is such an idiot. Maybe it is wrong to say that but he posses me so much. I don't know if does it on purpose or he is just nuts.

I hate to have arguments with him about politics because neither of us is strong in the topic. He hates black people. He calls them the n word. He says that they act this way because they are are all the same. This is solo wrong. I have no idea why he shows me articles about politics and then starts bashing blacks. Does he do it because I tell him that he is a racist?

I don't know how to say no to my dad. I hate him so much. Maybe I don't but I cannot stand it. He cannot stand other people to be different. So if there is something different in me he will act this stupid. Where is the respect?

I am not used if I said something to offend him but why is it that everytime he is losing an argument about black politics he has to start saying racist things? He is such an asshole. I hattteeeeeeeee him so much. For some reason I feel that this will be a traumatic experience for me. I cannot stand having discussions with my dad and I am living under his roof because of bad situations but this is unbearable. I have a feeling that I have no one who can support me in this.
    This is really tough.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just set boundaries with your dad no speaking of politics or hearing any racial comments if he goes there just walk away go outside for awalk each time you do that you are not feeding into the conversation you back away from it okay hugs

3. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

Thank you Total Eclipse. I guess that it would be good to realize that something is dead in him and there is nothing I can do to change that. It is disappointing. Sometimes I forget that I set boundaries and when he brings up the subject I end up sucked into the conversation.

I wish I can say "screw off" when he brings up the subject because I am not too good at setting boundaries because when I try to do so I end up getting silent and let the other person run their mouth.

Thanks for the advice.

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Sometimes all you can do is try your best to avoid serious conversations, and walk away if you get pulled into one.

My dad's also prejudiced (sadly, so is most of my family). After countless arguments nd years of not speaking to each other, I learned to avoid certain topics with him. As much as we want to change their opinions, chances are we can't, and fighting with them only serves to frustrate us a LOT more.

From someone who's been there, I hope things get easier for you. Here if you ever want to talk, or need to vent. I know that helped me when I was dealing with the worst of it.

5. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

Thanks WildCherry,

It is sad to have to witness this prejudice. It is tough to think of it.

Thanks.

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I hate hearing racist remarks...makes me so mad so I know how you feel. Some people will never see that we are all equals no matter the color of our skin. Like others have said, try to avoid sensitive topics so this language won't be brought up. You can't change his opinion but that doesn't mean you have to listen to it.

7. 1 rotten apple in the basket and some people think the entire basket of apples are rotten as well... Zzzzzz.....

I am an Asian Chinese, am I considered a yellow banana?? Zzzzzzzzz....