My rat died today

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by lizzyqwerty, Feb 28, 2013.

1. lizzyqwerty

lizzyqwerty Active Member

I own five rats--was six until today. I had one of my rats get neutered because he was HIGHLY aggressive towards people and rats and could not be housed with any other rats. Nobody could hold him either because he would bite you and draw a LOT of blood. The surgery was fine, but the doctor thought he wasnt coming out of the surgery fast enough so she gave him more medicine to have him come out of it and he died shortly after.

I feel terrible. I feel like I let Kovu down by making him go there to get neutered. I feel like I abandoned him. I wasn't there when he was dying. I feel like he wonders why I left him there. I feel like he might have thought I was torturing him or making him miserable because he made us "miserable" (his thoughts, what I am thinking). I am scared he felt alone, like he had no support while he was dying. I am scared he was scared to die.

I was never able to hold this rat due to severe aggression, but I never imagined being able to hold this rat due to his aggression getting out of hand and him dying after the surgery to calm him.

I am scared this will make my cutting and depression even worse for a while. I saw my therapist yesterday and I don't see her again until 6 more days. My depression and cutting has already been really bad lately.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm really sorry for your loss. :hug: It wasn't your fault, you did nothing wrong.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

If he wasnt coming round from the surgery, I doubt very much if he knew a thing and just slipped quietly away.

Always foul when a pet dies, especially if they are no age.
    Lost two guinea pigs young and spent hours wondering if there was more I could have done.
    Thing is, even people sometimes die of complications from surgery, so don't beat yourself up; you were trying to improve his life by making him more sociable, sadly it was not to be. :hug:

4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss :( I dread the day my guinea pigs will die. I used to have nightmares where I tried to help them, and they would get hurt or die. I always worry if I couldn't do more. But my mom points out to me they are happy and they show that.

I kind of agree with terry that I doubt he realized he was dying. He went to sleep and then to a peaceful place, you tried your best. Not everyone would go to high measures to treat him and you never give up on him. I've known people who just abandoned hard to live with pets, my ex best friend was one of them and my dad was also one....trust me you've done a lot and I'm sure he knows it even if he's dead...

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm sorry to hear about your rat :hug: But please don't blame yourself or take it out on yourself, because what happened was beyond your control. I know it hurts a lot right now, but remember that you didn't do anything wrong.

6. guage

guage Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how it feels to have a beloved pet die. I am still morning the loss of my first and most wonderful beloved PitBull. Just reading your post brought me to tears, and to highlights of the time I had with her. I know there is not really any comfort that anyone could give to you, but I do give you my deepest condolences and well wishes. I wish I could help lift the pain, but I know the kinds of attachments one can have with their furry family members.