My Resignation

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Forsaken Heretic, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forsaken Heretic

Forsaken Heretic Well-Known Member

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult. I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year old again.

• I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four-star restaurant.

• I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.

• I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.

• I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer's day.

• I want to find back the taste of strawberries as a child, they don't seem to be the same anymore.

• I want to spin around and around like a whipping top, till I drop and heaven turns all around me, without anyone looking at me as if I have lost my marbles.

• I want to play with my marbles again and remember all the complicated rules you had created as a kid for playing with coins, marbles .... (and the feeling when you won new ones)

• I want to eat chocolate and ice cream and hamburgers again, without any form of bad conscience.

• I want to shout again when I am angry, cry when I am sad and laugh out loud, with my mouth full of food, not even thinking to restrain myself, because I don't care what others might think of me.

• I want to return to a time when life was simple. When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care. All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.

• I want to think the world is fair, and that everyone is honest and good.

• I want to believe that anything is possible.

• I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

• I want to live simple again.

• I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.

• I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.

So -- here's my checkbook and my car keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements. I am officially resigning from adulthood.

And if you want to discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, 'cause, "TAG! YOU'RE IT!!!!"
  2. Surviving

Surviving Well-Known Member

3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Shinigami K that was beautiful. :smile:

Unoriginal but very, very applicable to us all I'd suspect.
  4. Surviving

Unoriginal? I didn't know it was a contest where we were being judged...:blink:
  5. Forsaken Heretic

Yeah expecially when it was copy and pasted for your enjoyment.
    Damn me for being an unoriginal copy, paster.
  6. Surviving

Did you say 'copy pastor'?

7. Forsaken Heretic

Worship the copy pastor. *laughs*
  8. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

:biggrin: That's awesome.
  9. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

hehe exactly how I feel sometimes :laugh:
  10. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I want to be like that. :smile:
  11. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

No contest, just not his words or ideas. Whenever you copy & paste something -no matter how worthy- without giving due credit to source, it comes off as your own words. Eh? :smile:

12. Surviving

If we were doing course work you could call it plagiarized, yes. However, in this setting, given the intent, it just didn't seem like something that needed to be called out on...

If you knit-pick people's postings, eventually they will stop posting...

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i would give anything to be a kid again lol,ah well maybe in my next life:laugh:
  14. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I'd love to turn back the clock also. I'm not enjoying adulthood very much, despite having been doing it for almost 40 yrs now. If children ran the world I don't think we'd have so many wars... and ice cream would be one of the food groups.:wink:
  15. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

"Actually the word is nitpick."

lol And something like that would have been nitpicking. (This is a fantastic example of autological syntax, where the phrase in context is self-defining! :laugh:)

Nah, it's not "plagiarizing" or anything. Hell it's all over Google in different versions. People pass things in forwards all the time, but they are *noted as such*.

Posts are not mere forwards; yet you're correct: If people want to pawn off material as though it were their own creation, they can. Right? And, as writer myself if I wince, finding the practice to be a level of dishonesty by omission and am moved to pipe up then I reckon that's fair, too.

16. Surviving

Well, I've got better things to do than argue :toilet:
  17. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

It's a funny post, can we not argue about who wrote it?
  18. Surviving

It is a funny post :tongue:

knitpicked or not...:rolleyes:
  19. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

More touching insightful and true than funny, really. Not written by Shinigami K, and I don't think there's any 'arguing' there. But yes, very effectively takes one back to simpler times, very effectively evokes memories of those times.

I especially identify with "I want to find back the taste of strawberries as a child, they don't seem to be the same anymore." Nothing does, it seems. And strikingly I get this: "I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks."

I used to do that!!!! We would take a nice, fresh day after a hard rain and fine mud puddles. Well my friend and I together observed that if you took a very small pebble and just let it drop, it disturbed the dirt at the bottom into a mushroom cloud very much like an atomic bomb!

Man that was the coolest. :biggrin:

I can easily add to it, as the post invites.

• I want to be able to go to the store and buy those gliders--not the balsam wood kind, but those sweet little styrofoam kits. Our aim was always twofold: Longest glide time and a soft, smooth landing. Well I want to do that... without being stared at by respected neighbors. ("What the hell is he... doing?") lol!

• I wanna play frisbee again *cries*--I LOVED frisbee and over that all-too-short span of youth, and developed considerable skill. I wanna play frisbee golf, too. But I have no friends anymore who would care to do so.

• I want to be able to climb trees again. I was known around my neighborhood for my daring and aptitude as a tall-tree scaler. Heh, i would search for the TALLEST! But I must face reality that it's been 30 years on.

I CAN'T fucking climb trees. lol This is something I came to realize right about age 25. And you know? Watching others grow old in tandum, I adopted the motto: "Age fucks you up." lol

Surviving: :hug:

20. Forsaken Heretic

Wow didn't know posting this would cause such a problem. It's pretty obvious that I didn't write this, and I never claimed to. The reason I didn't credit anyone was because I don't know who wrote it. As you said ToHelp this had been all over the internet, in many different versions -- this just happened to be the one my friend sent me on myspace. And I know she didn't write it -- so there's no one to credit.

I just thought everyone here would enjoy reading it, if they haven't already -- so why make such a big deal out of nothing ... :blink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.