My Saturday A Good Day Until Mother Nature Showed Up

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Godsdrummer, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Ok...so Saturday.

Well if it's a Saturday afternoon, chances are you'll find me in a town of about 20,000 people, approx 9 miles from where I live, delivering pizza's to the masses.

Now I am an amatuer meteorologist type dude. No formal training. But weather is kind of a hobby for me.

That day, we were under the gun for severe weather. NWS had us outlined in a slight risk category, with some area's ( I think) in a moderate risk.

And as the day wore on, I could see things trying to get organized in the skies to the west, but then they would fall apart. I had begun to think that the day was going to be a bust.

I was scheduled to get off from work at 8pm. I got out of there around 750 and headed up to Walmart to get some things.

(Side note) I get weather alerts texted to my cell phone. As I was leaving work, I decided to check the cell to see if anyone had called. There was a text that we were under a Tornado Watch. Ok..I thought, no biggie. We have been under those before, and besides...it can't really be anything serious, as the day was a bust. And I kept going to Walmart.

Once in Walmart, I got a text that my county was under a Tornado Warning. (A warning means 1 of 2 things. Either spotters have actually seen a tornado on the ground, or.....doplar radar indicates a potential tornado as it will show rotation on the radar image). Knowing that....and knowing that my county is a fairly large area, I decided that the odds of a direct hit were nil and kept up with my shopping. Shortly after, Walmart lost it's power!!!

I was like Oh crap! Time to go!!! And left my stuff and got the heck out of there. Next thing, another text. Another tornado warning. I thought...this is getting serious and I am still 10 miles from home. Well I was also hungry. Hadnt had dinner yet. I saw McDonalds was still open and went thru the drive thru. You'd be suprised how quickly you can get thru a drive thru when a tornado is in the area! lol

Made it home...and my town was spared. Tornado went to the north of us, another to the south.

Then the reports started coming in. Tornado that went south was somewhere near my parents, my aunt, and one of my best friends who also happens to be the leader of my church band!!

When I finally got a hold of my Mom, she was ok, but she couldnt reach my Aunt. Finally after some facebooking, I found out she was ok. Friend was too!

However that town they all live in or near....not so much. An EF2 tornado with with speeds around 120mph ripped thru parts of the south side of that town...level houses, trees power lines etc. Major damage. It then moved on and hit another town.

By then end of the night, approx 7 tornadoes where in the area of North Central Illinois.

And I frickin went to McDonalds! lol

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Quote:
    And I frickin went to McDonalds! lol

Hey, you gotta keep your priorities in order. :p Glad you're okay though.

3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are ok Bill!

I lol'd

4. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Thanks boss!!!

Gotta remember, at that moment in time, I was under a tornado warning. It was raining buckets of rain and it was dark out. I had no idea where the tornado was at that time. It could have been barrelling down on me, but still had to get my Mickey D's.

Not one of my brighter moments. lol

5. WildCherry

I hope you got a soda with your meal. :p

6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

No...us normal people call that stuff Pop. And yep. I did get a nice Pop!

7. WildCherry

Normal, Bill? You stopped at McDonalds during a tornado!! :p

8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing the dumb things we do in a crisis??..
    anyway if it was going to be your last meal it def shoulda been McDonalds..
    glad to hear youre ok and so are your friends and family...
    take care ok

9. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Touch Mon Cherie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.