My school offering the HPV vaccine

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by LenaLunacy, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

Well my school gave me a letter today basically informing me of the new cervical cancer vaccine. They're having NHS nurses come into our school over the next six months to adminster 3 injections to protect us against us cervical cancer.
    70 % protection.
    But my parents are like, well it's new, you don't know what effects it might have.
    And my grandparents say the same.
    And i don't know what to think :unsure:
    I mean surely it's good to get protected. But it's true that it's new and noone really knows much about it. Do i want that in my body? :unsure:
    Gah i dunno :(
  2. danni

danni Chat Buddy

I got it done its protectes women against sex disease, when i got it done they tell you to not move for about 10 min cause some people pass out after getting it, and you get 3 of then with a course of 3 moths i think.
  3. Ozibuna

Ozibuna Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with the whole new thing and i've heard pretty bad things bout the national health service in the uk so that's another black ball to the process. Anywhom, best way to protect is to prevent, that's what i always say:)
  4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I got it done as well, no bad effects here.
  5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

With the internet there is so much you can investigate on your own. Where I live it still costs and it is about $250. I want my daughter to get it so badly but we cant afford it. Why do I want her to get it? Because I have cervical cancer and would never wish it on her. I never had numerous sexual partners only my husband of 20 odd years. I had my pap regularly and nothing showed. Then after a prenatal test already 2 month pregnant the docs found it. So you see, you never know!!!!! There is no "normal" way that something like this happens. Please read up on it and make an educated choice.
  6. LenaLunacy

I've decided, with the help of my Gran and Mom, not to have the vaccine just yet. To wait a year and then see what the medical world are saying about its effects and any side effects.
  7. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Good for you hun! You've made a well rounded decision that is in your best interest. Now keep looking out for yourself!!!!
  8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I had it done and within 10 minutes, I was bleeding from both ocular cavities and from my left pinkie toe. It hasn't stopped.
  9. Just_visiting

Just_visiting Well-Known Member

Hi, can i just say that u cant choose wen u have it, i mean obviously u can choose not to have it but, as i understand it, after u get to 16 u cant have it because only people who havent had sex can have it and obviously they cant prove who has had sex and not so they just give it to people under 16. (atleast thats what i have been told). U mite want to check that before u decide not to have it.
  10. LenaLunacy

Imm 18. They're offering it to 16-24 year olds right now.
    I might choose to have it at some point before i go to uni next yr, cos i will be having booster meningitis jabs. Kill two birds in almost one
  11. physician

physician Well-Known Member

In my country the HPV vaccine is obligatory!! huh!

I know a woman with adverse effects from another vaccine..

I'm still not sure that HPV vaccine wouldnt cause adverse effects, in fact there r rumors that may cause live-lasting adverse effects!!

it is better to wait for a while:rolleyes:
  12. LenaLunacy

Now my grandma is saying she thinks i should get the vaccine :/
    That woman *shakes fist* I wish she would make her mind up.
    I still don't know whether to take it or not *sighs*
    Damn being 18 and making my own decisions!
  13. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

I'd ignore your grandmother and read a non-merck(y) produced pamphlet first.

14. LenaLunacy

Thanks for the article. I read it thoroughly and have made up my mind not to have the vaccine. I mean the whole thing about 'we don't yet know if it will cause cancer or infertility' WHY THE HELL ARE THEY ADMINSTERING IT THEN?! They could potentially cause 12 year old girls to become infertile. Thats awful and so wrong on a million different l;evels.
    I think i'll pass and wait till i know that the drug is safe, or seen the devastating consequences that i would be fortunate not to have.
  15. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I had to get the vaccine earlier this year. I sure as heck hope it has no adverse effects, but I feel fine. If there's any, I'll be sure to let you know, lol.

16. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

sounds like a good idea :)
  17. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

"More than 10,500 females who received Gardasil were evaluated for adverse reactions. Most of the reactions experienced by the study participants were not serious and included mild or moderate local reactions, such as pain or tenderness at the site of the injection. It is always possible that unexpected and rare adverse events can occur when a vaccine is used more widely. The manufacturer has committed to FDA to performing additional studies of the safety of Gardasil. In addition, FDA and CDC carefully monitor the safety of approved vaccine through the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) in order to detect any problems."

I really, really don't want to suggest to get something that's potentially unsafe, but the FDA is the best source for data on things like this, as they are the most likely to be unbiased by ethical or monetary concerns.

Oh, and of course, ask your doctor.

Edit: That "non-Merck(y) pamphlet" does not cite sources, and indeed seems to use logic instead of any proof, and it is written by the author of an anti-vaccination book. Ignore that shit.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  18. LenaLunacy

Well i gotta get more jabs next year before i head off to uni, gotta get meningitis i thinks, so i may aswell hold off a year and then review the situation next year.
    Thanks for the advice though :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.