my selfharm

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by tm2h, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tm2h

tm2h Member

i have selfharmed since i was 12 years old im now 43 it feels like it has taken over my life at times. As most of my cuts have needed stiching that means a trip to a&e which isnt always plesent as some of the nurses and doctors can be very judgemental and very patronising, but whats best to get a gapping wound seen to or leave it and risk a nasty infection? belive me ive done both i have also been asked by people if its done for attension which its not its done because its my way of dealing with things which i would rather block out,./

2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

It is tough to feel hurt by those who are meant to be understanding.

please take care of yourself

3. Carcinogen

Carcinogen Well-Known Member

Yeah, my doctor did this when she saw my arms at an appointment about a chest infection, she wanted to know if I had friends who did it, and if I showed people.

Personally I have found medical 'professionals' to be quite insulting when dealing with self inflicted wounds, but you're right, it is definitely better to get them seen to than leaving them. Maybe it's just difficult for them to put their pesonal prejudice aside when dealing with self harm. After all, they're human too...I think. It's difficult when people are that patronising, but try to keep getting your wounds seen to, especially if they're deep.

Take care of yourself

4. magz74

magz74 Well-Known Member

i am 34 and have been a self harmer for 19 years .so as you can imagine i have lots of scars,i have learnt to cope with them myself ,i always keep a supply of butterfly stitches with me .it has taken over my life to.many proffesionals dont have time for people like us ,but maybe you just havent found the right one.after years of hiding i told a friend and to my surprise she has had suffered in the past too.this illness is a growing concern and you would be surprised how many of us there really are

5. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

I cute without the 'e' my arm sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.