My sister got in a serious car wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned this Thursday December 16 that on Tue. dec 14 my little sister who is around twenty (i am her older brother by five years) got into a serious car wreck. She was driving home from work in her friends car going about sixty. She came around a bend in the road as a guy was turning to go into his driveway. Apparently he was all emotional and stressed out about his girlfriend who had got in a car accident a few hours earlier.

He hit my sister in the drivers side and this resulted in a broken vertebrae in her neck (the second one down from the top), trauma to her brain and swelling, several broken bones including her ankle in a few places, arm, collar bone. She is now in a hospital connected to IV's and all sorts of tubes. She had meningitis before but it appeared after the accident happened. She hasn't been able to respond at all, I don't think she's paralyzed. The doctors say they have to do surgery to fix the broken bones.

I'm most worried about the swelling in her brain. They can't do the surgeries until the infection subsides and they put her on antibiotics, she's on morphine for the pain and sleep meds to keep her relaxed.

I am her older brother. I live quite far from where she does and Its been terrible to cope, I am so hurt. I wish it happened to me instead of her. I am close to her even though we live states apart. She finished her CNA courses and is going to get in the nursing program. She was working in a shoe store. I'm devastated. I feel totally and utterly helpless and confused. Why did this happen to her? I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. It hurts me to hear my Mother cry as she is at the hospital. I talked to her and it just made me cry. I'm in bits. I have to go to work tomorrow and I don't know how I can just go on. I want her to wake up. I want to hear her voice and tell her I love her. She is strong and I know she can pull through this ordeal. It pains me to bear the thought of her in the hospital with all these complications and on top of it she has diabetes.

I don't know what to do. I might get a plane ticket in a couple weeks and fly out there to see her.

Please I need some support. Thank you.

Dave_N

Banned Member
Hi Daniel and welcome to SF. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister getting into a car accident. I really hope that makes a full recovery. People really need to be more focused when they are driving, because one mistake behind the wheel can be very costly. :hug:

Hi Daniel and welcome to SF. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister getting into a car accident. I really hope that makes a full recovery. People really need to be more focused when they are driving, because one mistake behind the wheel can be very costly. :hug:
Thank you for your kindness. It is so unfortunate it was her at the wrong place. I'm so hurt by this its incredible. I have no motivation to do anything but now i have to work tomorrow. How can I live when my sister is so hurt? I'm still processing this. I am in confusion. I realized i have taken life for granted so much. waiting for her to wake up is hard.

LogDork

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
Go now if you can (or, ASAP). I've been in a bad one like that, my broken femur came out the front. She will want to see you.
Sorry to hear about it, bro.

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
So sorry to hear about this...life is so random...and yes, try to go when you can, but I am sure they know you are there in spirit...hope she has a full recovery and please let us know how she is doing...J

Hey Sadeyes, I'm going to keep updating this thread as i hear more. I hear she has to have surgery because her ankle was broken in several places, her arm need surgery, and her vertebrae. I'm mostly worried about the brain damage and swelling that has caused complications with her being able to respond and wake up. Thank you for your responses. Its comforting to know that people care especially in a time of need.

When I was driving out to CO from the East Coast I drove very near to where my sister was living but it was midnight and I didn't think i should bother them. I haven't seen her for several months. I want to be there for her as much as I can.

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Hi Daniel just know the professionals will keep your sister comfortable. The will sedate her enough so her body has a chance to heal from the shock and injuries
She knows in her heart you care for her I hope you can visit her soon but realize she will be kept sedated on purpose until all her injuries are dealt with.
Take care of you too try not to worry too much i know easier said then done.
will pray your sister recoveries quickly hugs to you and for her too.:console::console:

My sister is sleeping now.
1991 - 2010 Rest In Peace
She died Sunday Dec. 19 at 6:20 pm
I was there at the hospital and watched as they took the life support off.
The complications were too great. I can't talk about this anymore.
Please keep me in your prayers

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
I am comforted that you did get to the hospital...and I am so sorry about your loss...it is heartbreaking...my condolences...and yes, I just said a prayer for you...J

jimmy88

And I was all ready to provide you with a forum for spinal cord injuries until I read your last post in this thread, shocked me actually.. I'm so sorry for your loss. But know she's in a better place. Most likely she would've been a quadraplegic and (from my perspective at least) that isn't a life. Hope you and your family recover in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00