My sister was raped

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by DarnTired, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Years ago. And I never knew until today.

For the past two days, my sister and I have been doing a lot of talking on the phone. We talked for two hours yesterday and 90 minutes today. We really cleared the decks of a lot of shit that had been getting in the way of our relationship. And then she told me that years ago she was raped in a parking lot. She never told the cops or my parents. She only told the man who would one day be her second husband, a co-worker, and myself.

I used to think that I was a miserable person and had a rotten life. I used to think that bad things happened only to me. But now...

My poor sister.

She says that she just dealt with it on her own and has since been able to live with it. She has a wonderful husband, two kids, a good job, some degree of security and mood medication.

She says she's gotten over it. But I'm living it right now, years after the fact. In my imagination. My poor sister.
  2. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

Im sorry to hear about this, but I admire your sister for her strength to get through this and live a life as normal as possible after an experience like that. Draw from her the strength to deal with it too :hug: Glad to hear you have been doin so much talkin x
  3. DarnTired

DarnTired Antiquitie's Friend

Lots of talkin. My phone bill is gonna' be murder. But I don't care.
  4. butterflies32

butterflies32 Well-Known Member

It is really hard to cope with hearing that especially form a family member. She may have come to accept it but it will take you a long time to and no doubt you may be feeling a little bit of guilt??

Maybe you need to see someone about this it is often normal for a family member to do this. Please do not beat yourself up over it though. If you start not being able to cope with it it will not help you sister.

Take Care.

Here if you need to talk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.