My sleeping habits are so messed up!!

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by LilBoPeep, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

At the moment I'm wide awake and have no idea how I'm going to fall asleep. When I do sleep it's 12+ hours a day and when I wake up I don't want to get out of bed. Once I do I'm wide awake and can't fall back asleep until early in the morning and then the cycle repeats itself. I'm thinking about trying some melatonin because sleeping pills are out of the question seeing as that what I used when I attempted suicide years ago
  2. silentlyfading

silentlyfading Well-Known Member

Hey lbp. I too have sleep issues. Mine are im wide awake 22hrs of the day n 2hrs sleep. Even though mentally im wide awake my body is constantly tired. We both need to break the cycle. It sounds to me like you need purpose. Im guessing you dont work or go to school? you need to keep yourself busy 8-10 hrs a day downtime for 2-4hrs and limit youself to 8hrs sleep. But its not that easy I know. A hell of alot of motivation is needed. Do you have any ideas as to why you sleep this way ?
  3. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

No at the moment I don't work or go to school so I'm at home pretty much all day. I've always been a person who can sleep for hours and wake up and still be tired and want to go back to bed. I really don't have any purpose right now. I'm not too sure why I'm like this all of a sudden it really started happening after the weather got colder so maybe I have SAD(Seasonal affective disorder)?
  4. silentlyfading

SAD is basically a vitamin deficiency, when uv rays hit our skin it causes a reaction releasing a vitamin that makes us feel good ( dont remember wich one) ever heard the phrase "stuck in a rut" thats where I think you are. It is depression all the signs are there. SAD may be a factor but not the problem. Im 27 so quite close to your age. And pretty much been dealing with depression from my early teens. I really wanna help you through this I know how hard it can be
  5. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

I've been dealing with depression since my early teens also. I'm starting to get worse lately and I guess that's where my awkward sleeping patterns are coming from. Either I'm fully awake or asleep for hours. Thank you for being so supportive! It really is nice that I feel like someone cares.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sorry to hear that you are having sleep issues, I always have problems falling and staying asleep. I usually sleep during the day and then stay up all night, and I always seem to be tired no matter what. This time of year can definitely wear you down. Is there anything you can do to tire yourself out, or maybe something you can take so that you will be able to sleep more easily?
  7. silentlyfading

At the end of the day I know what I go through and don't want anyone else to go through it and if they do I wanna help. You are not alone with this. We are here for the highs and lows. Is there any hobbies or interest's that you used to enjoy?
  8. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

I'm like that too asleep during the day and awake at night but now it's all over the place I just don't seem to get tired anymore and when I do I sleep forever. I'm thinking of maybe taking some natural sleep remedy medications and see how that goes.
  9. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

I've honestly never really had any hobbies. I've always been sorta a loner. I keep to myself. I used to run when the weather was warmer but it's too cold now. My only hobby is watching TV or being online.
  10. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Your internal clock is screwed. If you want to get on a schedule you have to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time every morning, but how can you expect to sleep decently anyway if all you do is sit on your computer/watch TV all day? It will always be screwed while ever you're inside, depressed, doing nothing all day long. My sleep's been fucked for nearly a year now because all I do is sit on my ass in a depressed stupor every day.
  11. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

hmm, in my case, it would be nice to get some sleep full stop

7 nights a week with a limit of about 5 minits sleep a night is not much
  12. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

My sleeping pattern has been out of whack many a times over the past few years. I have been known to go without sleep for several days at a time and I have even had as little as 10 hours sleep in a 14 day period. I do admit that during these times, my mental health was not great with being either very depressed or very manic, but the important thing for me was to develop a good sleep routine. One of the things that helped me was going to bed at around the same time each night whether I was tired or not. To begin with I'd lay in bed for hours, not being able to get to sleep, sometimes until the sun was rising but I persevered with this and eventually I began to fall asleep earlier and earlier each night. I never really gave myself a specific "wake up" time but some people find it helps them to develop a good sleep routine. Things that also helped me were having lavender baths about 1-2 hours before I went to bed. Avoiding things that stimulate the mind such as watching television, using the computer, playing computer games etc also helps. There's also things like having low level lighting about 1-2 hours before bed that can help and for me when I am trying to sleep I like to have a bit of background noise. My fiancé has an app on his iphone that has sounds to aid you sleep such as camping, the sea, the rain, thunderstorms etc. I also like to have the tv on a very low level because the background noise helps me get off to sleep. I only ever put on movies I've already seen, because then I won't be tempted to stay up and watch it because I've already seen it. Everybody is different, but it may be some things to think about when considering a good sleep routine. Exercise, sugary foods and caffeine should all be avoided prior to going to sleep because they stimulate the brain which can keep you awake. A good diet and getting a little exercise can also help. A good routine in general helps good sleep. Don't get me wrong, I still have sleepless nights from time to time but this is what helps me.
  13. LilBoPeep

LilBoPeep Member

So I went and bought some non habit forming sleeping pills today. I'm going to take a few before I go to bed tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have some luck falling asleep. It was the same pattern last night. I stayed up till 8 in the morning and slept until 6 in the evening and I had the hardest time getting out of bed.
  14. ronnymarie

ronnymarie Guest

Have you ever heard of Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome? This might be part of your problem. You might want to check out this link and see if it sounds familiar:

Also, don't know what sleeping pill you took or how it worked, but I've been taking Alteril, which is a natural sleep aide with melatonin, valerian root and tryptophan (sp?). It's really helped me to fall asleep.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.