My Social Anxiety coping strategies

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kirovski22, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirovski22

Kirovski22 Active Member

I used to suffer from extremely bad social anxiety and had to see a psychologist about it. I soon got sick of it and decided to try to find coping strategies. This is what I came up with:

1. Scanning the area for exits if I can't cope- I was told to put myself in social situations by the psychologist to try and adjust so I looked for all possible exits if I needed to make a quick escape if I couldn't cope

2. Being in public environments/ using time- I put myself in shops that had a few people in at first and timed 10 minutes. I tried to stay for small amounts of time and then left when the time was up and recorded how I felt and what I was thinking. I treated myself to a present if I managed the time limit. I started to go into busier places slowly by slowly and started increasing the time limit and reward myself if I succeeded.

3. Controlled breathing- I trained myself to control my breathing to try to calm myself down but if I reached my peak of anxiety I escaped the situation and waited until my breathing was back to normal.

4. Splitting from my mum- My task was to say to my mum I will meet you outside the shop im going in in 10 minutes and when I got more comfortable I made the time limit longer

5. Attempting rational thinking- I used to think people we watching me and out to get me so I had to keep telling myself "i'm safe, I have my phone, I can get my mum to help me out of this, nobody has any reason to harm me" and things like that. Constant self reassurance by myself and from my close friends and parents was a big help

These helped me a hell of a lot with my social anxiety and I don't suffer from it nearly as bad now. Hope these help some people out a bit!
  2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you managed to find these things and make them work :)

I could never do the second point. I'd be waaay too paranoid that people would think I was shoplifting or something. I need to actually be interested in what is in the shop, otherwise I'd just be walking around looking suspicious.

I don't really have coping methods for my social anxiety. The people around me think it's silly and don't understand why I can't do certain things so I usually have to throw myself into it and feel scared and uncomfortable the entire time. I do like wearing coats with hoods, though. It's only something I can get away with in evenings and in the winter, but it helps me so much. It's like a barrier between me and everyone else, and it helps hide my face coz I hate people looking at me.
  3. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Snarry, how about sunglasses for summer? I know we don't get much sun. If anyone comments adversely tell them you're hypersensitive to light. I am which is why I wear photochromic lenses all year.
  4. Kirovski22

Kirovski22 Active Member

I hope you can find some way of coping better :) Even coping strategies aren't 100% fool proof but they are a good temporary solution to build yourself up. I usually wear quite outlandish things because the way I see it is my world is a stage and it turns into a tears of a clown situation as my way of coping with SA. I guess being incognito is a good method! It's a really difficult thing to get over it took me a year of psychological therapy to see what they call "sense" but I always found it better to go along with how you feel as a person and what you're capable of but be daring if you wish and push the boundary a little bit and as soon as you can't cope anymore, back out back to normal. Hope that's good advice!! haha xx
  5. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i'm so glad that you found some coping methods that work for you.

good to hear..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.