My Stepmom is controlling

She won't let me surrender my cat. I should have surrendered him before I moved back to her. She doesn't like having animals in her house, and her grandson has allergies. I told her I didn't mind surrendering him, but she said to keep him because she bought it for me. She was like this with my clothes too. She bought me some clothes I had ended up donating them because I hardly wore them and I had so many clothes, and she got mad about it. She was also mad about the shoes I had donated. She didn't even buy them for me. They were given to me by my aunt's friend. They were high heels and a rarely wear heels. I just didn't see the point in keeping them. My stepmom is controlling about what I own. I want to surrender the cat because it's not fair to him. He has to be in the garage and this woman has two cars in it. The cat hardly has any room. It stays in a cage that's big enough for a large dog. I let him out of the cage as much as a can so he can roam around the little space he has. He climbs on the cars sometimes and now she said to me that she can't be on the cars because he might scratch the paint. Which I know he wouldn't do. It's like what else can he do lady? Your cars take up a lot of the space. You want me to keep him, but you're not willing to compromise and at least one of your cars out in the garage? It's my cat and I want what's best for it. It needs an owner that will let him have some space, and I can't give that to him.

BlueGreen

Hi @Mysticrose, sorry you are having to deal with this. You stepmom obviously has a lot of issues but that's not fair to the cat. Is that the only space he is allowed to be in? I wonder if you could get him re-homed but tell your stepmom that he escaped? That doesn't sound like any quality of life for the cat.

BlueGreen

That could work. But I don't know how I can re-home him.
Perhaps call a vet to start with? They might have suggestions or contacts. Maybe there are animal associations near you? Do you have friends that you could put the word around (and who your stepmom doesn't know)? Is he more of a stay at home type cat? Maybe if he is, then an older retired person might like him?

Snake on the Moon

I would go to a pet shelter and explain the situation. They may be able to put the cat up for adoption and say its in a foster home for the time being, or they could find a foster home for them.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00