My story.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by SCUK2009, Sep 24, 2010.

1. SCUK2009

SCUK2009 Well-Known Member

Mods, if this isn't the right place for this, feel free to move.

OK, here is my story...

I am agoraphobic/socially phobic (does this make sense? lol) and have been for the past 4 or 5 years. At first I just used to avoid the occasional social event but in the last two years it's gotten to the point where I don't even leave my house at all, pretty much ever.

The reason being, there is a physical feature of me that I am self-conscious about. I kept everything bottled up until a few months ago when I confided in somebody close to me. From there it has led to me going to seek professional help, and now I see a psychiatrist once every week.

I feel though I just need one more little ounce of courage to finally speak about this one thing that's holding me back, but I worry that if I do, it might not get fixed. If this was to be fixed, I could start living my life again. There is slightly more to the story but as I'm new to the forum I'll keep it relatively short and talk about it more as I get to know people on here more.

Thanks for reading.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Just saying hi and welcome to the forum, your post is fine right where it is.

3. SCUK2009

Thanks, WC.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi just want to say welcome and when your ready post what it is that we can support you with. I think being open with you doc is the best way to get you feeling better okay. Lots of people here to help you as well take care.

5. SCUK2009

Thank you violet. Just wondering now, does this forum have a positive/negative reputation feature?

6. Confused and Lost

Confused and Lost Well-Known Member

Can i just ask by physical feature do you mean a facial feature or like weight or something? If you dont mind me asking what is this feature? i understand if you wish not to say.

Take care :) x

7. SCUK2009

It's a facial feature.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome :smile:. It might take time to share more of your story either here, or with your psychiatrist but what you're doing in reaching out is admirable for someone who tends to bottle up feelings.

I hope you find this site useful to you.

9. SCUK2009

Thanks for that reply. I think this site will be very helpful to me. I feel lucky already to say that things feel like they're getting better and my life is turning around, I hope other posters can say this too in the near future.

10. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

The last embarassing facial feature I had, I did not deal with well...

No good advice from me, but I really do know where you're coming from.

11. SCUK2009

What happened mate?