My therapist thinks I'm an alcoholic

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by attack_amazon, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. attack_amazon

attack_amazon Well-Known Member

I saw a therapist yesterday, since the hospital and my husband insisted after my attempt, and among other things she thinks I might be an alcoholic and wants me to try AA. Apparently my score on the MMPI indicated I'm likely to have a substance abuse problem. Admittedly, I've stepped up drinking quite a bit in the last couple of months, but I'm not that bad and it's not like I feel compelled to drink. I also have social anxiety, so sitting in a room full of people who are getting all emotional about the evils of drinking sounds horrifying to me. But, to get them off my back, I agreed to go to one. So, I have some questions for anyone who's been or is currently in AA.

What is an average AA meeting like? Do I have to get up and talk or can I just sit there? Are people going to want to talk to me a lot or can I just hide in a corner and try to be inconspicuous?
  2. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

I saw your thread and couldn't let it sit there with no replies, but I'm afraid I haven't got any insight in to AA meetings so am unable to help you with your questions. From what I have heard though, a lot of people do find AA meetings useful.. i think a 'reading' is read out normally about some aspect of the twelve steps and then people have the chance to talk about how they're feeling if they want to. I imagine that no one would be forced to talk or do anything they didn't want to.

I hope it goes well and provides some support for you
    Jenny x
  3. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

ive been to a few aa meetings, and its not like what i was expecting at all.

just for a little backround, i live in a small city of about 200k, and it has its fair share of poverty. im not sure where you are from, so maybe the demographic in these meetings will be different for you, but the meetings i went to were full of the most depressing people ive ever been around. part of me wanted to feel better about myself by comparison, but i mostly ended up feeling worse in the company of so many people at rock bottom. i wasnt at all comfortable. you can keep to yourself if youd like, but it seems like its frowned upon.

aa is very much a church of sorts. they teach you that the only way to deal with alcoholism is to admit that its a disease, and that the only way to treat it is to give your life to god. basically, youre meant to accept that youre helpless to fight alcoholism, and that god is your only answer. personally, i didnt like being told that i was powerless over something that i knew i wasnt.

honestly, rooms differ from place to place, and you may find a room thats a little less preachy and creepy than the ones i visited. you may find a room thats open minded, and friendly. you may find a room full of creepy bible thumpers. most rooms are somewhere in between.

i know people who have been helped immensely by aa, so it certainly can help you. id say go to a few different rooms, and sample the scene. i cant say i know that theres other support groups outside of aa in your area, but i found one in my area that was a bit more progressive (a good thing, considering i was 20 at the time) and liked it much more.

i hope i didnt come off as too negative. just sharing my experience
  4. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

if AA is anything like NA in structure which i believe it is.. then it is a great thing. peer support is powerful. i went to NA to stay clean and it helped loads

there is more on AA here:

AA uk:

worldwide site:

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Copyright © by the A.A. Grapevine, Inc.; reprinted with permission.

Alcoholics Anonymous can also be defined as an informal society of more than 2,000,000 recovered alcoholics in the United States, Canada, and other countries. These men and women meet in local groups, which range in size from a handful in some localities to many hundreds in larger communities.

Currently, women make up 35 percent of the total membership.
  5. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

just wanted to add that you do not have to believe in god ( of any religion ) to use NA.. they are not affiliated to any religion. they do use the term " higher power " and " god as you perceive god to be " but i had no problem with NA and i am pagan. you can even use your higher self or something like that. the god thing is not the main part here , it is admission of powerlessness over alcohol/ drugs etc and the very important peer support
  6. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I went to a few aa meetings when I was in the psych ward. They people there were all extremely nice, supportive, and all of them will openly tell their story. If I needed to I would go back in a second.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.