My thoughts about quiting...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hurted, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Last 3 weeks i cut myself from 2-6 times daily...

However, today i stop... i have decided, that im going to cut myself every 2-3 days... and there will always be more days beetween last cutting...

I doubt that i could quit right now... even if i wouldnt have urges, i would be afraid because i would never cut again... but if i will do it slowly, i think its much easier...

Same thing i did for pot... i said that i will stop smoking it every 2-3 days, but i will still smoking it occasionaly... I am "clean" for longer than month now, but if i would decided not to smoke it ever again, i wouldnt be so calm as i am now, because i know that i will still smoke it occasionaly (birthdays etc...)

What do you think? Do you think that its better to quitt emmidiately?:)

2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I think that's the most insane idea i've ever heard. not only that I think it's ludicrous.

What do I think?

If you are serious about quitting, if you really do cut, then just quit. don't go every couple of days b/c that's going to solve nothing.

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well i think that it could work...

Its same like smoking... i know many people who stopp smoking by lowering amounts of ciggarets... so why it wouldnt work for self harming?

I couldnt stop right now... I never try anything, until i am 99% shure that i want to stop...

For cutting im not... ...

I mean... its easier when you have urges ,that you know that you will be able to cut yourself after few days, than if you would know that you will never do it again...

However its just my view:)

4. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

that's a nice view there and your theory will never work b/c cutting isnt the solution at all but hey youd o whatever floats your boat.

5. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

i know that cutting isnt sulotion... thats why i decided to stop cutting myself so often and slowly stop...

I know it sounds crazy.... i mean i am very crazy too:laugh:

But i will give it a try... i will start to looking for other ways to cope...

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think what Kanani was trying to say, is that with other addictions like smoking and drinking, your body actually craves the addictive ingredient so you have to ease off them, like using a nicotine patch. But cutting is a cumpulsive behaviour like gambling. Your body doesn't crave it, but your mind does. You can try a less harmful coping method if you like feeling pain.

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Yes, this made sense to me... Thats what ive been thinking...
    Im very glad that it work out good for you:)

8. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

Dave, actually your sometimes body does crave it and it is possible to become physically addicted because when you cut yourself it releases a chemical. A psychologist explained it to me a while ago I don’t remember what chemical it was or anything but some chemical is released in your body when you are in pain. Thus one can become addicted to it but that’s just one theory.

Hurted, Your idea is better then mine was. I would never suggest just trying to stop cold turkey like I did. I just stopped and it worked for a while but then I couldn’t handle it and hurt myself worse then before. Then I stopped again cold turkey and the same thing happened. With your idea though I would suggest not going as deep as you usually do. Try to cut back on how many cuts you do and how deep they are.

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well last time i cut was around 48 hours ago...
    I will probaly cut myself today, but hey, i manage yesterday not to cut myself and even today i was pretty ok...

I dont have urges right now, but i am nervous and very confused, i want to see if cutting will help...

Thanks everyone for support:)

10. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I found myself cutting at times of severe and complete chaos in my head, frustratration and the innability to express myself when it was happening. Also, I have cut to punish myself and when I have hated myself.

I would recommend finding out what triggers the cutting and understanding what is happening inside your subconsious at the time, have you tried therapy / groups ?

One step at a time! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  11. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

If you really want to stop, GET HELP, talk to people, and stop tricking yourself into thinking you can just stop. You will do it again, and again, and again and each time you will let yourself down more because you made a new promise.

12. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thats the problem... I dont really want to stop... I cant force my mind not to do it...

13. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.