My thoughts on cyberbullying

Discussion in 'Bullying and Violence' started by Atheist Demon, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

As yall know a girl committed suicide because a 'boy' who 'loved' her said some very hateful things. And then to find after she died that the boy never exist but was a neighbor (who is a mom) pretending to be one, because of some problem between the girl and her daughter. But IMO cyberbullying (or even RL bullying) that leads to the victim to self-multilate or even kill themself is a felony and should be as much punished as murder or attempted murder.

My story:
    I was on an anime site, and I was treated ok at first even became a mod. I made some mistakes, but I tried to apologize, and I was treated terrible by some of the other members. Some would change what I post and made it look like I said homosexual or obscene things. And I got so depressed that I slitted my wrist and had a blood loss, and we rushed to the hospital. And then I spent 2 and a half weeks in a rehab center.

In conclusion:
    The worst thing a person can be is apathetic, and instead of talking it out , say stuff to humiliate a person. I hope I never had/never will say ANYTHING hateful or mean on ANY forum I go, cause the best way to help yourself, is to help other ppl.

~Bryant

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

wow I am sorry this happened to you.
    it should be taken more seriously
    :hug:

3. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I like your conclusion. After the depression and self hurt you could at least come out with a greater understanding. You learned something new. The next time you run in to this kind of behavior you know not to invest your energy in trying to gain there approval or liking. They donĀ“t deserve it!, the unforgiving selfish pricks will only take and never give. You are better of "not" calling them friends or try to change them. Hang around people that are cool, respectful forgiving and supportive. There is no crime in choosing who you invest emotionally in. The bullies will hopefully find a way to change for there own sake but all we need to know for now is that they are a sad bunch who have A LOT more to learn in life.

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Your conclusion shows that you've learned something very important and rare. Most people who experience what you did would get revenge, etc. A truly strong person would not allow such impulses to dictate them.

Anyways it's good what you have learnt.

5. xan

xan Chat Buddy

It's scary how many people online will say hurtful things and be rude/racist/offensive beyond anything you'd see in real life just becasue they are on the internet. Makes you think about how horrible the world really is (not that it's particually great at the moment).

Sorry you went through all that, shame people can't get banned from forums of any kinda for acting like that.

6. betteroff

betteroff Member

I saw that first case in Dr. Phil. It was sad.

Bullying in the internet can be especially ugly because the people who bully you don't see you. They don't face you and they take no responsibility whatsoever. It's easier to just forget the whole concept of conscience that way.

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

cyberbullying is not a problem.

If someone does "cyberbullying" you, just stop talking to that person.

It Is that easy actually.

8. Dana..

Dana.. Well-Known Member

it's not actually beacause i know that i cyber bullyed someone and everytime she came online on msn i said nasty stuff to her

9. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well she could simply block you:)

10. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Atheist Demon.

This is exactly the kind of thing that puts me off registering on internet forums these days. In fact, this is really the only one I bother to visit now.

What makes it worse is that on a lot of forums, you'll find that the mods are in on the bullying and, more often than not, abusing their power "just because they can". Makes me physically sick to my stomach.

In fact, I too have a story. There was this place my (now ex)gf registered on called 'The Saloon'. She contacted me one day on MSN, telling me that the members on there were giving her a hard time because of the kinds of things she was into. For example, we're both WWE fans, and there was a 'sports and wrestling' section on the site for members to discuss things to do with WWE, TNA, NFL or any other sports or wrestling company you were interested in. Dunno how many members here watch WWE, but there's a wrestler there called John Cena. He's the World Champion atm, but a lot of the older male fanbase despise him because they don't like how he is constantly shoved down their throats. His fanbase mainly consists of kids and females. Anyway, my ex, she's a John Cena fan, and as soon as she mentioned his name there, members starting jumping on the 'hate wagon', calling her things like f*g, c*nt, ugly b*tch, mentally challenged etc - all because she likes a certain wrestler. I mean, people are entitled to their own opinions, yeah, but there is absolutely no excuse for saying things like that to another person.

It got so bad that she registered under another alias, so that nobody knew she was a John Cena fan. But soon she started talking about things like her favorite music, movies and TV shows. She watches a lot of Disney flicks and, sure enough, that garnered some hate too. Someone even posted a hate thread about her. I lost it and decided to defend her against these insults. I made a complete a** out of myself and ended up taking a lot of heat for it myself, but I didn't care. They were way out of line. Eventually we both got fed up of the motherf*ckers and left. They wanna act like children....let them. And like I said before, even the administrators or moderators wouldn't do anything because they were f*cking pr*cks themselves. She did NOTHING wrong to them. She was only looking to meet new people who were into the same kinds of things as she was.

If it were up to me they would've burned for what they did. Unfortunately though, people CAN get away with this sort of thing, because it's the internet, and they are protected by the 'anonymity'. Funny thing is they wouldn't dare say anything like that in real life, where they knew they'd get a smack around the gob for doing so. Just goes to show that they are nothing more than 'gutless cowards', cyber bullies.

And on a side note, am I the only one who is sick to death of people saying things like:

OWNED!
    PWN'D!
    EPIC FAIL!

Either that or they'll post some offensive picture they found on google, thinking that they're being clever and "proving a point". I don't think it's clever, or proves anything besides the fact that they are f*cking idiots.

Luckily though, the mods here don't stand for anything like this :)

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm sorry you were treated so badly by them hun.

I joined a forum a few months ago, I was treated very badly there on the first day I joined , I had asked for help with an issue I had and they looked for every fault in my story and claimed it wasn't true, all I got was abuse from them. I never went back there and SF is the only place I feel safe on the internet. i'll never join another forum again. I suppose I need to toughen up a bit:mellow:

12. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

sadly i've seen this on even here. and i dont think any person, myself included, can ever say they've never doubted someone at sometime.

so no place is free from cyberbullying. an i think in many forms it is rife on here, but no one wants to say :dunno:
    but its all subjective, and to certain degrees.

i think it ultimately comes down to weak people needing to feel better about themselves so they pick on weaker people.
    its human nature in one of its ugliest forms

13. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

people who bully others online are even more cowardly than bullies who you meet in real life, they tend to say things they know they wouldnt get away with saying to someone in real life because they have a computer and several 100 miles of distance to hide behind. then again, being bullied online doesn't hurt any less than being bullied in the outside world.

14. lonely_child

lonely_child Member

I'm sorry I don't understand how someone can kill themselves over cyberbullying. I been bully throughout my whole life and am still alive. Unless you have really bad self-esteem, you should not let that even remotely get to you. You are too weak if you to control yourselve if you fall prey to cyberbullying.

15. colt45

colt45 Well-Known Member

The internet can be a scary place. I have seen some very obscene material myself.

16. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Not a problem? It is... What if the hateful person makes a whole WEBSITE about the victim? That happens everyday... Or even vorse, makes a Youtube-clip.

17. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Cyber bullying is only an extension of regular bullying.

I seriously doubt that some kids finding a myspace intended to insult em and then going to school and playing football with the same kids that made it.

18. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

You are spot on here, you could pretty much guarantee that if you ever saw these knobheads in real life, they wouldn't even say boo to you.

19. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Anyone who has to project misery at others through a safe medium like the internet is not only an angsty, miserable misanthrope like most bullies but a coward as well.

20. Beautiful_Disaster_09

Beautiful_Disaster_09 Well-Known Member

Three years ago I was bullied quite a lot through the internet. A girl in my year at school bullied me every night on MSN for a couple of months. She called me names, laughed at me, made comments about my appearance, laughted at my disabled, blind brother amongst other things. I did not know what to do. I hurt myself, I cried a lot and I could hardly eat. I lost a lot of my confidence and I just wanted it to stop.

A few months previous to that a so called best friend of mine created a new MSN account and started saying really horrible things. These included things such as 'I watch you when you come out of school and follow you home' and even described what I looked like down to the very last detail, said that they would kill me if I was not careful and other things. I was scared and was constantly looking behind me every where I went.

I believe cyberbullying is pretty must alive and it is more common than most people think. It happens all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.