My way of coping

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Mandy1, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

It works for me,at least it keeps me alive.Only other self harmers can understand this,im sorry i just need to vent.
    Not many people understand self harm as a way of coping.

2. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I'm an ex-cutter and I understand.
    But remember that this is nothing good, especially not in the long term. You know what happened to me? I've got nerve damage that I will have to live with for the rest of my life... Cutting might save your life today but there is a life without cutting out there waiting for you, somewhere. And there are other ways to cope.
    I'm still depressed and I hurt myself in other ways, but much less than I did as a cutter. I don't cut myself anymore, I learned how to stay away from it.

Do you want to find another way to cope? For example, put a rubber band around your wrist. Each time you want to cut, pinch yourself with the rubber band instead. It hurts really, really bad and it works perfectly as a harmless substitute.

:hug:

3. Mandy1

Nothing helps anymore im a lost cause.
    I want to be accepted,but its never going to happen.
    I dont cut to die,just to cope ....

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

You're not a lost cause babe :cheekkiss:.

5. Mandy1

I wish i could explain myself .

6. helena

helena Staff Alumni

I'm affraid I don't too, to be honest I didn't know a lot about it before I joined this site and it scared me :shy:but I learned long ago that you don't have to understand things in order to accept them. Only thing is, the possible irreversible damage that can come from it worries me, and I wander if it's progressive, I mean, like, will you have to do it more often, or more severe?
    I wish the rubber band would work for you :sad:

May I ask how old you are? I don't think you are a lost case, and though age is not the only factor that counts, it could mean that you could say you still have a lot of time to maybe learn new ways to cope and probably even be happy enough ever and won't need it at all anymore :smile:

7. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

If you want to try (no pressure), I'm always here to listen.

8. Mandy1

Im 42,ive cut since i was 13,its my way of coping,and i cant stop,its my way of coping,i just wish i could stop.
    Oh sh*t im in a mess....

9. helena

helena Staff Alumni

:hug: no you're not, it's ok, I'm so sorry I can't really help...

10. Mandy1

A woman of my age cutting ! But it gets me through am i wrong to think this ?
    Has it become a habit ? I dont no anymore...

11. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

I completely understand where you're coming from.

I'm a 17 year old male... I don't fit the stereotype of the typical cutter either...

12. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Hey Amanda I started self injuring with cutting when I was twenty four. Lots of atypical people cut. Just not as much as the majority that's all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.