Myths About Self-Injury

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by }{Feather Pen}{, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myths About Self-Injury
    By Teen Health Centre
    Oct 27, 2004, 14:51

Self-injury is a failed suicide attempt.
    False, self-injury is often a way to continue living and cope with whatever is going on in their life without having to attempt suicide. This does not mean that all cuts to the wrist are not suicide attempts, but most people who self-injure know exactly how deep they can cut before they risk dying. There is a risk that self-injury may also result in an unintentional suicide by accident. Also, this does not mean that self-injury never triggers feelings of suicide and many self-abusers feel very suicidal at times and may have made attempt in the past. Just because it is not a form of suicide doesn’t make it any less serious or less dangerous a choice.

Self-injury is “attention seeking” behaviour.
    OK, now think about this one, aren’t there better ways to get attention? One could dye their hair blue or walk around naked! Self-injury is a coping strategy and usually one that involves covering it up, not showing it off. Self-injury is a sign of distress.

Self-injury is untreatable. It’s hopeless.
    False. The problem is that many people, even professionals, don’t understand self-injury and it seems so foreign to their way of thinking that they can’t think of anyway to help. The key is to look at why not how. There are services available for treating self-injury. You may need to look around to find someone who understands but they are out there. For those of you in Windsor and Essex County, the Teen Health Centre is one of those places. Other places might include crisis centres, sexual abuse treatment centres, children’s mental health centres or women’s centres.

It’s Borderline Personality Disorder or they’re “Borderline”.

False. Self-injury is not sufficient for a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which requires five of nine criteria, of which self-injury is only one symptom. Again, this label is an easy way for some professionals to describe what they don’t understand. Self-injury is a coping strategy not a diagnosis.

It’s my mother’s/father’s/friend’s fault. They made me do it.
    False. Self-injury is not someone else’s fault. To self-abuse or not is a choice and choice is a personal responsibility, therefore ending abuse is a personal responsibility. People in your life may trigger you but you still have choices what to do with those feelings.

For help with self-injury
    Contact the Teen Health Centre at (519)253-8481 and ask to speak to a counsellor.

For more helpful facts, http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/cutting.html has a lot of different ideas to prevent SI and explains the situation thoroughly. It also gives tips on breathing exercises to calm yourself and such. Check it out.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  2. jjustme

jjustme Guest

hmhm,, that's true. Not many people understand 'our behaviour'.. And that could hurt very much:sad:

3. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

Thanks for making this post, it's very thoughtful and i'm sure will be very helpful to people here. Take care hun :hug: :hug:

4. Thanks.. I was hoping someone here would get some use out of it. Maybe help them understand it better.

5. Just_a_guy

Just_a_guy Well-Known Member

I think i have to disagree with the attention seeking part. Probably people dont hurt themselves outright for only to seek attention but its more like a subconsious thing, though im sure there are people who do it for that too.

I know that no one would go around showing their scars but sometimes (at least i ) secretly hope that someone would notice that everything isnt right and just give me a hug.

So in that sense it kinda is... Everyone is different though.

6. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

i'm undecided on attention seeking. i think for some it can actually be their reason for self injury. These are the people who walk around with their scars and wounds on view and get told they're fakers. But, if you think about it, that's a pretty extreme step to take to hurt yourself intentionally because you think it's the only way to get attention? But you can't label all self injurers attention seeking. Me personally, it's been at least 7 years and not a soul knows. There are times, i just want to pull my sleeves up or any of my clothing to be perfectly honest and show someone the mess of scars. i'm not entirely sure why though, think maybe i just want someone to notice i'm not ok. i think attention plays a part in it for some people, but for many people, they go way out of their way to make sure no one finds out. So i do agree that you can't brand all self injurers attention seeking.

7. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

:sad: :hug: Esko.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.