Name a celebrity or famous person diagnosed with a mental disorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Clearly, some people have died of suicide attempts, drug addiction, etc., but I need someone for whom the public knows that they were actually diagnosed with a disorder. If they weren't legitimately diagnosed, I can't use it. Anyone know someone?

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
I know Adam Levine has ADHD. I’ve been very selective in sharing my condition to someone but I kinda idolised him sometimes, partly, he has some of the struggles as I am especially during adult. But I also do adore Demi Lovato before Adam - who Demi has bipolar, she’s the first one that educates her fans into opening up and I follow. Hope this helps.

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Stephen Fry - he's probably more of a UK celebrity but he is absolutely adored here. He's a writer, actor, comedian, broadcaster. He is extremely clever and all round good guy. He's been very open about his bipolar and how it has affected his career and personal life.
Damn it, beat me to it! :D

Along similar lines, Hugh Laurie has been diagnosed with clinical depression before.
Meanwhile Matthew Perry was heavily addicted to Vicodin, Methadone, amphetamines and alcohol during his time on Friends if you felt like going in that direction.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
There are several high profile celebs diagnosed with bipolar - Mariah Carey, Mel Gibson, Russell Brand, Catherine Zeta Jones, Sinead O'Connor, Jean-Claude Van Dam Damme, Vivien Leigh, Earnest Hemingway.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Selena Gomez (diagnosed with bipolar)
Camila Cabello (diagnosed with OCD)
Pete Davidson (diagnosed with BPD)

Bonus:
Abraham Lincoln (I found this one especially interesting, but he was never diagnosed as, you know, it was the 1800s but historians think it was very likely he was depressed).
Yeah, I just saw that Pete Davidson opened up about his BPD diagnosis in 2017 while I was googling this. I think that's actually who I'm going to write about. His story is definitely an interesting one.

I found this quote he once wrote on his instagram story in 2018:

"i really don’t want to be on this earth anymore. i’m doing my best to stay here for you but i actually don’t know how much longer i can last. all i’ve ever tried to do was help people. just remember i told you so <3"

That's sad. Poor guy. He's a great comedian, too.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I was also watching (I think it was the Rob Lowe one) a roast on comedy central the one time, and I forget who, but somebody made a really fucked up joke about Pete Davidson's dad, saying, "the only person who's inhaled more smoke than Snoop Dogg was Pete Davidson's dad" (his dad died working as a firefighter on 9/11), and everyone just stared at Pete Davidson in horror after that, but Pete was actually laughing his assistant off and said, "What? It was funny..." lol. I think it definitely affects him much more than he lets on at times, but it is also important to be able to laugh at yourself sometimes. I do it all the times. Laughter really is the best medicine sometimes (well, when you have nothing better, anyway 😉).

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Britney spears is diagnosed with bipolar. I hate the whole ''oh, she wore her wedding dress while on a date with a paparazzi'', and the usual ''doing a Britney'' which refers to her shaving her head then afterwards she attacked the paparazzi with an umbrella, they were driving her fucking crazy to be fair, she had no sense of a normal life, she kept telling the paparazzi ''i'm a normal person just like you'' and she is in a certain light, I used to have a huge interest in her at that time, I'm glad she kept fighting and fighting and now has proven to herself she can fight this disorder but sadly still under conservatorship all these 10 plus years later which she is currently fighting, was actually in the news just yesterday.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Britney spears is diagnosed with bipolar. I hate the whole ''oh, she wore her wedding dress while on a date with a paparazzi'', and the usual ''doing a Britney'' which refers to her shaving her head then afterwards she attacked the paparazzi with an umbrella, they were driving her fucking crazy to be fair, she had no sense of a normal life, she kept telling the paparazzi ''i'm a normal person just like you'' and she is in a certain light, I used to have a huge interest in her at that time, I'm glad she kept fighting and fighting and now has proven to herself she can fight this disorder but sadly still under conservatorship all these 10 plus years later which she is currently fighting, was actually in the news just yesterday.
Some speculate she might have BPD and others say bipolar, but I don't think she was officially diagnosed. At least, not as far as I'm aware. But I do agree that people forget sometimes that celebrities are people too with the same basic human rights as everyone else.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Some speculate she might have BPD and others say bipolar, but I don't think she was officially diagnosed. At least, not as far as I'm aware. But I do agree that people forget sometimes that celebrities are people too with the same basic human rights as everyone else.
Thanks for correcting me, sorry I should have wrote *believed* to have bipolar. According to google she was never officially diagnosed, at least that was released to the media. I think though for them to still have the conservatorship against her will all this time, there is probably a true diagnosis we are unaware of. Thanks :)

MisterBGone

SF Supporter
Lots of movie directors have said/claimed that they were “manic depressives,” as to whether or not they were officially diagnosed, or met the diagnostic criteria &/or features, is another matter. Kind of like how everybody likes to claim they’re “ocd,” or “add,” when half the time, they don’t even begin to truly/fully understand what that means. If they ever opened up and began to flip through one of those diagnoses, they might be in for a rude awakening! ;)

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Here's a few I've managed to dig out

Isaac Newton - suffered from several nervous breakdowns and also prone to fits of rage

Ludwig vanBeethoven - suffered with bipolar

AbrahamLincoln -suffered from severe depression

VincentVanGogh - depression interspersed with bouts of mania s inferred from his personal letters, one guy who had suffered with unstable moods as well as being prone to epileptic seizures which may have been due to his consumption of absinthe.

WinstonChurchill - apparently , another one suffered from depression or what he referred to as "black dog"

JohnNash, - Schizophrenia

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Here's a few I've managed to dig out

Isaac Newton - suffered from several nervous breakdowns and also prone to fits of rage

Ludwig vanBeethoven - suffered with bipolar

AbrahamLincoln -suffered from severe depression

VincentVanGogh - depression interspersed with bouts of mania s inferred from his personal letters, one guy who had suffered with unstable moods as well as being prone to epileptic seizures which may have been due to his consumption of absinthe.

WinstonChurchill - apparently , another one suffered from depression or what he referred to as "black dog"

JohnNash, - Schizophrenia
Notice how it seems to be all the intelligent/creative people throughout history who suffered from mental disorders? Definitely a correlation there.

Shit, we're lucky we don't exist in the age where people with mental health issues were treated like subhuman experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00