Name at least10 people that influence you & why

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Bostonensis, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

1. My Dad, the ultimate mnaifestation of adoration.
    2. My Mother,who is relentless in the pursuit of nowledge beyond deppression & illnesses ,I have to give her credit for the tenacity to live for what she believes.

3.My two sons. Hoping that one or the other would NOT have an IQ of G.W.
    4, The Pope who proves to me that religion is idiocy in its best & a lethal poison of the innocent mind
    5. Lewinsky , that many women are idots, battery included(me)
    6. Nelson Mandela as an inspiration in adversity.

7. Princess Diana the xpression of the challenge of confronting conformity.
    8. Four best friends in college Gigi, Belen, Citas, & Rona.
    9. Dana Carvey for his brilliant humor.
    10. Navratilova for self determination & courage ro conquer status quo

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

this is a hard one :eek:

1. my housemates
    2. my sister
    3. my mates in my old hometown
    4. my therapygroup
    5. my therapists
    6. my online mates
    7. my cat Madeleine (when she's around I calm down easier)
    8. my parents. I may not have any contact with them anymore, the way we were when we were still in touch, still influences me.
    9. Random people who say hi or smile to me when they pass

I honestly can't think of any other people. I'm not that much in touch with people really, outside of therapy and my housemates that is :dry:

3. winston

winston Well-Known Member

Leonard Cohen
    My Father
    My Uncle
    My brother
    my mother
    Ian Curtis
    roy keane

4. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

In no particular order...

1. just_a_guy, "Eskie".
    2. Bob26003
    3. sarahg, "Chef"
    4. Ishy
    5. gentlelady
    6. Kath
    7. castyles
    8. mp
    9. Jodi
    10. FenderAddict83

All of them for their giving, generous souls, giving support to all who need it.. Because they can be funny, and I love funny lol...

Eskie & Sarah, for special hugs...

Kath, for giving me hope

Jodi Kurt & GL for worrying about me like parents

Bob & mp for making me laugh :p

Cast, for being brave <3 <3

Ishy, for always giving and never asking for help for herself if it means upsetting anyone else.. a trait I recognise..

But I love all SFers....

5. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

1. My father - he has the kindest heart and disapointing him breaks mine.
    2. My mother - she has my future planned out.
    3. My grandmother - she wants to control my life and tries.
    4. My littler brother - I want him to be happy and try to make life easier for him.
    5. Callie - best mate, I hate disapointing her so sometimes i catch myself doing things I wouldn't usually do.
    6. Josh - I just want him to be happy, even if i tried to leave him alone i couldn't stay away for long.
    7. Mrs Hull. - Maths teacher haha. She influences my life because the amount of maths she makes me do the more stressed I get.
    8. My Auntie - Always around to see my msn names/dps and to decide that there's something to talk to my mother about.
    9. Audrey - longest lasting friend, If there is anyway I can help her I try, I would do anyhting for her.
    10. Rachel Scott - she's what i want ot be.

6. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

1. my older sister, she has taken care of the family since she was 15 and it made me realise a lot of stuff

2.Ester, she is always there for everyone, and she stays strong

3. my brother, he really has done so many things on his own, he really knows what he wants in life and goes for it

4. um....k let me back to you :cry:

7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

O.K....after writing this, I realized that I have 15 people who influence me the most...didn't think I had that many :)

Jesus who loves me when I can't love myself.

My Dad (God rest his soul) who always made me feel like the best thing that ever happened to him and was the source of my self-esteem. He made me believe I was wonderful.

My Mom, who shows me what strength and faith really are.

My husband, who shows me unconditional love and makes me feel like the only woman in the world, and makes me strive to be a better person every day of my life.

My brother, who shows me my capacity for love and who reminds me so much of my Dad.

My uncle for screwing our whole family over and who thus showed me my capacity for forgiveness, even though he is unrepentant. I would not have known what kind of forgiveness I was capable of were it not for him.

My mother-in-law, who showed me that you can love yourself even if you don't like the package you came in.

My father-in-law, who treats me like a daughter and reminds me what it's like to have a Dad again.

My step-dad who brought life and light into my Mother's life again when I never thought it possible.

Myself, who beats herself up every day for not being good enough, loving enough, selfless enough. Without myself I might just think I'm too good to be true :)

My best friend Jason, who shows me that there are good men out there who want nothing more than to love and be loved and who is one of the most loyal people I have ever met.

Pope John Paul II...who taught me how faith can make someone beautiful and who inspires me to live and die with an ephemeral grace that I cannot hope to match, but that I can certainly aspire to.

The Virgin Mary, who is graceful, strong and loving, who went through a mother's worst nightmare and still managed to be perfect.

My grandma, who shows me how vibrant and amazing someone can be at nearly 80 years old, and who has a sense of humor doing it.

My grandfather, who was the first man who ever loved me and who treated me not as a mistake but as a wonderful blessing.

God bless them all.

8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

BTW, thank you so much for starting this thread...it really made me think and count my blessings, as well as helping me to account for who I am today and why. Bravo.

9. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

1) Vikki
    2) My Nan
    3) My Mum
    4) My Dad
    5) My mate Sue
    6) All my friends on here
    7) Erm, Ill get back to you :blink:

10. Phoenyx

Phoenyx New Member

Umm, sadly no one for me.

11. Blackness

Blackness Guest

hmm pretty sure I dont have ten.
    I have 3 different sides of me...so thats 3.
    Then my parents I guess. And my sister. My cat. And my online friends.
    Thats it :(

12. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I'ma fill this one in again :smile: See if anything's changed..

In no particular order:

1. Madeleine
    2. My parents
    3. My sister
    4. My mates around here
    5. My mates back where I used to live
    6. My friends from secondary school
    7. My therapy group
    8. My therapists
    9. Friends that I've met on the internet
    10. Random people on the streets that wave back when you wave at them, or that smile at you or say hello :smile:

13. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

1) Vikki
    2) Joe
    3) Katie
    4) Nan
    5) Mum
    6) Dad
    7) friends on here

(no particular order)

14. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

1.) My family, naturally, whether I wanted their influence or not.
    2.) The people of the Bible--although I'm not a believer anymore--because their stories are part of the little culture I have.
    3.) Jerzy Grotowski, because his philosophy inspires me and makes me feel less alone in my own theatrical endeavors.
    4.) Albert Camus, because of his existential and absurdist writings and because he didn't really fit into either classification.
    5.) Richard Wright, because his writings helped me understand myself and my culture better.
    6.) Jules Verne, because his stories taught me that reality can be just as amazing as fantasy.
    7.) Jean Genet, because he changed the way I look at flowers.
    8.) A select few (primarily theater) actors, because they give me hope in contemporary theater and their work helps me to keep going.
    9.) Stephen Sondheim, because he's a visionary.
    10.) Eleanor Roosevelt, because every time her picture was shown in school, the kids would laugh and because she didn't let her looks, history, culture, or status stop her from doing what she knew to be right.
    11.) My therapist, because she helps me deal with life and shows me another side to things.

There are more, but I'll stop there. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  15. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

1. my 2 wonderful, gorgoues little angels

2. my (ex) boyfriend

3. my brother

16. What a WONDERFUL idea for a thread!!!

Rick, my “Outreach Worker”, who got me the help I desperately needed XX

Patricia, my counsellor, who listened and did the same as Rick XX

Jasna - my other previous counsellor who also truly listened and started the whole ball rolling XX

The staff at the "Mobile Crisis Team" (who made "housecalls"!) XX

The entire staff on Ward T2 at the London Hospital who for a month and a half, gave me the best TLC I’ve ever had in my life. Especially "Dr. B." :stretcher :grouphug:

The staff at the “Respite House” who provided a welcome & wonderful haven when I needed to take some Time-out from the world (twice!) :stretcher

My friend Barb, who saw me at Hell’s Gate, never judged me, and helped me to laugh again XX

Mary Hynes, host of CBC “Tapestry”, who is not only a lively, wonderful host, but a genuine, sincere, and compassionate “Mensch” who kept in contact with me (and also aired my segment on her program!) :smile:

My friend Gabi & her husband, who even though they didn’t know how to help me at times, stuck with me, and did for me as much else as they possibly could XX

Jeannie, who has stuck by me through 'the thickest of thin' for several years, and who has allowed me to do the same for her (even though we have never actually met in RL!) XX

The enriching and spiritually sustaining music of Yes & Jon Anderson :stereo: (even though ol’ Jon seems to need to be a little more “grounded” here on this planet!) :wink:

Max Ehrmann - who wrote Desiderata (my very first "philosophy") :smile:

:biggrin: The person who invented Youtube!! :biggrin:

And last, but never least, all those who started SF!! :sf:

17. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

1: Charles Bukowski, he taught just what it was to feel
    2: Neil Gaiman, he gave my childhood dreams and fears. Perhaps without him I wouldn't know nightmares. But I'd never have ventured into dreams.
    3: Prof. Stahl, it is great to have a professor come to bat for you, especially after a long hiatus.
    4: My ma, without a doubt the smartest person I know. Possible the strongest too.
    5: My papa, taught me to read, to question everything.
    6: R., he's been my best friend since i was 8 years old. Taught me not to project my feelings about myself on to others. Also, that being told no by a girl isn't the end of the world.
    7: Tiff, my first kiss I'll never forget it.
    8: Howard Zinn, for making history relevant to me
    9: Michael Foucault, for his insight into how we classify and categorize the world around us.
    10: John Kennedy Toole, for writing so well. I've always been so sorry that it took his suicide to have his genius published. I really wish I still had my copy of "A Confederacy of Dunces."

18. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

I only posted about who presently influences me, not about who has in the past

19. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

My Mum,
    My friends,
    SF :p
    Myself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.