Narcissist parents.

Discussion in 'Domestic Abuse' started by plates, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Anyone had a parent/s who were narcissists?

I don't really like this kinda labelling, but I know this mainly cos of a lot of personal research into my father back in 06, because of what I was witnessing with my sister.

What I mean is, does anyone know they have parents who fall into this kind of behaviour and thinking, and it makes sense by how they've turned out and their personality (I fall into a DID/CPTSD thing myself; the main thing with me is fragmentation and dissociation in the past), and how they have trouble with lets say flashbacks concerning their boundaries of their body, their skin, containment of themselves in a body. Also, a merging of parent-child, no sense of autonomy, eg. my father used to always refer to me as an extension of himself- ie, i looked very much like him, he liked to talk about his "genes" and "passing on his name", and all my successes were attributed to him. I had no sense of me as my own self and I was invisible and a punching bag. I was also held captive, physically abused, quite possibly sexually molested by him.

He'd be grandiose when lets say relatives were around, but his mania wasn't like my mania, it was fucking scary! because it reeked from being a coward, feeling like he was inferior, rather than being really excitable about something and/or having any sort of quiet confidence or integrity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.