Nasa wants to send you to Mars, BUT you could never comeback!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

NASA is looking for volunteers to fly to Mars - the snag is that you won't come back.

It is actively investigating the possibility of humans colonising worlds such as the Red Planet.

The settlers would be sent supplies from Earth but would go on the understanding that it would be too costly to bring them home.

NASA revealed that it had already received more than $1 million to commence work on the project at its Ames Research Centre in California.

Flight time : 6 to 9 months, sponsored by Google, one way trip :D

Source

Someone sign boo up ASAP!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  2. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

i read about this and thought YES YES YES i want to go to mars see ya their boo!!

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

...do we have internet?

Hmm... There's between 3 and 22 minutes ping between Mars and Earth. :|

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Good, this is great.

I hope by the time I'm an old man I can get an apartment overlooking Mount Olympus.

5. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I want to do this..

6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I hope they build McDonalds there, first and foremost.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that we're all disqualified on account of being unstable. They won't send astronauts just to have them off themselves.

8. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself sir! I am as stable as a stick of dynamite.

9. Lovecraft

Most the human population is disqualified - they want someone with advanced degrees and extreme abilities and willpower in the areas of mental and physical stress. Think of the people that first inhabited North America... OK, now imagine if they had to put up not only with foreign lands, sparse communication and near no supplies but also with the fact they need to make sure that the life support, hydroponics, radio, electrical, plumbing, etc. systems all needed to be working in order for them to survive, and there were only 20 people to fit into every conceivable technician, operator, labourer, conflict resolver, doctor and whatever role... Alright, no imagine telling them that they'll never see their family again and can maybe talk to them once every month for a few seconds and if they don't have a family the odds of them having one are nil for the conceivable future.

See? They want volunteers that are very qualified to get a foothold that will hopefully expand into an actual colony within a few decades.

10. Lovecraft

Dynamite is actually quite stable as far as explosives go, shock waves and friction won't set it off at all.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

"As far as explosives go." :p

I just meant it sucks that we're categorically dismissed. I could do the isolation and stress and technical abilities, though I'd lose hard on account of my body.

12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I think they'll want an engineer, doctor, psychologist, celine dion and stuff like that. DISCRIMINATION says I !!!! :mhmm:

13. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

This whole thing creeps me out a tiny bit.... sounds like the beginning of a new Aliens movie -____-

14. Lovecraft

15. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

And I!!

Ha, you're too right on that one! I was thinking about what'd happen if they got to Mars and were then ambushed by smart aliens who were invisible to cameras or something.

16. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I dont consider myself paranoid but I think I would spend most of my time worrying "What if they decide sending us supplys is a waste of money"

17. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Im all for Celine Dion going to mars!!!!! :D I could make a huge list of people id like to see on mars so it might be best if i just go there instead, all i need to do is make 20 billion or so ...

18. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

LOL that's exactly what I was thinking...I don't think I'd want to go there...I need my internet connection and cable :/

19. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I would be disqualified for sure..no point in going to mars to die anyway

20. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Outer space intrigues me and terrifies me at the same time. Part of me wants to keep it a mystery. Sometimes my mind cannot comprehend the vastness of it and the things it potentially contains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.