Nations...

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Testify, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

Only exist because they benefit the people who run them.
    Peace.

2. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

What exists and does not benefit the people who run it?

“Virtue is a state of war, and to live in it we have always to combat with ourselves.” Jean-Jacques Rousseau

3. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Nations are stupid and primitivistic. They shouldn't exist, but the, by far, vast majority of humanity wouldn't be able to handle such a situation, which is why they do exist. People need them to find "identity" in themselves, by being a part of "their country." This leads to something even more primitivistic; patriotism; which leads to something yet more primitive; war.

4. Twitch

Twitch Member

They don't only exist because they benefit the people that run them. If that was the case, they would be overwrought with rebellion. While their are anomolies where countries like that do exist, it is not the norm. If no citizen but those in control benefitted from a nation, revolt would occur and replace it with another attempt at benefitting the people. A government cannot exist forever when it does not benefit the majority of its citizens.

5. votestrike

votestrike Member

1. Everyone agrees: Government is broke

2. Why is government broke?
    Because our government is no longer run by civil servants (beholden to the people) but by corporate lobbyists (beholden to corporations). There are 35,000 lobbyists in Washington.

3. Who can fix this?

Voting out one party & replacing them with the other party no longer works- corporations/lobbyist have bought off all of our presidential wannabe's.

4. Then how do we fix this?

When your car breaks down you get out & fix it. When government no longer works (breaks down) it is the duty of the citizens to fix it.

For more go to www.votestrike.com

6. For anyone who is interested there is one movie that is a must-see, if you have not already. Do not let the word “documentary” intimidate you – it’s riveting. It’s called The Corporation – award-winning, Canadian-made, far-reaching and globally relevant – not at all merely here in North America.

23 ‘trailers’ are available to view at this site/link below (see “watch video” on left side of page), and it’s well worth the time. Notably, the opening one states that corporations prefer to be likened to eagles – majestic and soaring – rather than vultures (yet which we know, are actually Nature’s “clean-up crew”, while this is usually last, that is, if it occurs at all, within the corporation’s sorely limited agenda). Another notable segment is that of the systematic evaluation of the corporate identity and behaviour (especially since corporations have been granted the legal status of being “individuals/persons”) fully qualifying as mentally sociopathic…This movie is bold, articulate, thorough, and as ‘enlightening’ as it is utterly disturbing.

http://www.thecorporation.com/index.cfm?page_id=2

7. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

Damn, I need to rent that some time, I saw it a while ago and intended to see it but never got round to it. Thanks for reminding me, dude.
    Edit: Hot dayum. You can watch it all online for free! =D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  8. I KNOW! I was really surprised! (and that's why I posted it...) :biggrin:

-Dudette :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.