Natural Anti-depressants

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Anyone tried St Johns Wort, and has it worked for them?
    I've been on and off meds for so many years and eventually I've decided if I never see my Doctors face again it'll be too soon. lol. So I'm extremely happy to be off Fluoxentine once a for all, but I really want to try something natural/herbal like St Johns Wort, or anything else I may have not heard of.
    Anybody got any recommendations?
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

St. Johns Wort does work for some. Maybe you might want to consider giving it a shot.
  3. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

There's research that suggests that fish oil helps. The dose varies from 2-9 grams per day. It's somewhat cheap so maybe worth a try.
  4. Aurora Gory Alice

Thanks Ken, I'll give that a try. :)
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Also take a look at L-Tyrosine. I use the version called "Power Drive" from Biotest and the stuff makes me feel awesome. You can also pick it up in the store with a generic brand(dont know how good the quality is though). Its not expensive at all, mb give it a shot.
  6. kurenai

kurenai Well-Known Member

Some things I try when I feel really terrible are running, and drinking earl grey tea, which has bergamot oil in it, a natural anti-depressant. You can also bathe with bergamot oil or lavender oil or soap. Good luck!
  7. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Well if your on any of these I wouldn't recommend taking St John wort
    Antidepressants MAOIs, TCAs, SSRIs, mirtazapine, venlafaxine
    Opioids tramadol, pethidine
    CNS stimulants phentermine, diethylpropion, amphetamines, sibutramine, cocaine
    5-HT1 agonists triptans
    Psychedelic drugs methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
    Others selegiline, tryptophan, buspirone, lithium, linezolid, dextromethorphan, 5-HTP

Since it can cause serotonin syndrome.
  8. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

I really don't believe in anti-depressants.
    However, I've been using a plant extract called Kratom for some time, which has similar effects to an opiate.
    The reason I started experimenting it is because I am a complete waster and will do anything to escape reality, but what I found was complete clarity, with an unusual sense of happiness...
    I suppose the effects could be similar to heroin but 1000 times weaker.
    Unfortunately it is sold as a "legal high" which means it can be quite expensive, and the plant does not get the credit it deserves and of course all the bad reputation that comes with something labeled a "legal high".
    But. And a big but. It is slightly addictive, I suppose more psycologically than chemically (tho it does have chemically addictive properties).
    I have often felt addicted to it, but have easily managed to not have any for a month or so, and every time I went back to it is because I was so damn miserable.
    I don't think this is what you will want if you want a regular anti-depressant, but its natural, and makes you happy, so I thought I'd write about it.
    I'm not going to say where it is available from, as I never do when talking about drugs or medication (I feel guilty).
    There is some debate as to how legal the plant it, I think in a few countries it is illegal, and I know that (especially in the U.K.) Governments are coming down hard on these "legal highs", and unfortunately Kratom is under that label.
    Meh, just what I had to say.
  9. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

:) I drink earl grey, and if the going is really tough, chamomile tea with a splodge of honey :)
  10. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

St Johns Wort isn’t something to be taken lightly. It is very potent and largely unregulated (though this is going to change). It also interacts with several other drugs including alprazolam (Xanax) (and other benzodiazapines) combined oral contraceptives, warfarin (and other anti coagulants), and theophylline used in asthma; these are just a few commonly used drugs in the list.

A naturally occurring drug is not necessarily any safer than those drugs prescribed. In my opinion you would be better off using a tried and tested prescribed drug - that way you will know exactly what you are dealing with, both dosage and effects wise; since herbal supplements are unregulated you cannot be sure of the quality of the drug being taken or be fully informed of the side effects.

Take care,

11. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

St Johns Wort might work for some. However, usally NEVER combine it with other medications without asking your doctor.
    Examples of medications that St John's Wort should never be combined with:
    *"Real" antidepressants including SSRI:s, MAOI:s SNRI:s, NaSSA and so on- it causes serotonine syndrome in some, a life-threatening condition.
    *Contraceptive pills
    and so on... Please be careful.
  12. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

13. Aurora Gory Alice

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I'm not actually taking any other meds apart from:

Cetirizine (for Hayfever)

Mebeverine (for irritable bowel syndrome)

Sibutramine (Reductil, which is a drug for weight control similar to Xenical or Alli - which could be a problem as it says not to take with any kind of anti depressants, so I'd better check in with my Doctor on that).
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

You are aware that a great deal of the medication (all sorts of 'em) are just concentrated amounts of the active ingredients from natural remedies? For example, St. John's wart acts on serotonin in ways not dissimilar to SSRI drugs.

Oh, bit of news for people looking into St John's wart; studies show it is more effective than a placebo to people with Major Depressive Disorder, but NOT to people with dysthmia.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.