Natural Remedies and Supplements?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Damaged_Goods, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Damaged_Goods

Damaged_Goods Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if anyone else has tried supplements or natural remedies to help with anxiety and depression? I lost my medical insurance a while back, and the therapist I was seeing at the time recommended that I check into more natural ways of healing. The psych doctor told me that there are no natural remedies for my issues ( have a string of mental health probs) but the research I've done looks promising. Here are a few of the things I've tried:
    • Omega 3 supplements
    • 5HTP
    • Vitamin B
    • Art therapy
    • Meditation
    • Tae Bo
    • Valerian root
    • Black Cohash
    While some of these have helped a little bit, nothing has been completely effective. Here are a few things I'd like to try:
    • aromatherapy
    • accupuncture
    • herbal teas
    Has anyone had any experience with healing naturally? Does anyone have other ideas? Thanks, and be safe everyone!

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I remember finding passion flower good for relaxing, if i can recall correctly, they were in pills i got in the health store. consult a doctor/pharm before taking.

I once told my psych I was taking valerian root and he went mental telling me it's really bad for you. (not sure about that one but consult a doctor before talking or pharm)

St.Johns wort is banned in ireland but I have heard some good things about it (its available in other countries) over the counter and talk to the pharm or doc before taking.

Lavender oil relaxes me at night, i put some on my pillow and go to sleep to the scent.

The best for me have been lavendar oil and passion flower and an important one taking vitamin B complex at night.

3. Damaged_Goods

Damaged_Goods Well-Known Member

Thanks Petal! I'll have to look into those. I had heard of lavender being especially helpful for relaxing, but hadn't tried it. I tried St John's wort years ago when I was diagnosed only with depression, but since my diagnosis of bipolar and BPD, I have been told I can't take it. It didn't break my heart too much, though- I didn't notice any effects at all. I've heard a lot of people have had great experiences with it though.

4. DarrylSpiers

DarrylSpiers Member

Thanks for wonderful information. I always like to read this kind of information. I will keep these remedies in my mind and suggest everyone to follow.

5. DarrylSpiers

DarrylSpiers Member

Thanks for wonderful information. I always like to read this kind of information. I will keep these remedies in my mind and suggest everyone to follow.
    medical clinic brooklyn