Necrophobia, anyone?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Melmoth the Wanderer, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

[I'm trying not to freak out and have another panic attack (or whatever they are), but I can't stop the thoughts. I've tried listening to music, writing, reading, cleaning, playing video games, and everything else I could think of, but nothing works.

BTW, necrophobia is an intense fear of death (and/or dead bodies, but mostly it's death in my case). Even when I'm doing okay, I can accidentally give myself a panic attack if I dwell on the reality of death for too long. I've considered all the theories and facts of what happens when we die, and none of them comforts me in the least. For a long time I tried being religious anyway, but when no faith comforts you or makes complete sense, why struggle to believe it?

I can't control my thoughts about death anymore. For a few months, I could push them out of my mind, but now I feel overwhelmed even during the day. I think it’s because I've been under a lot of stress lately. My life has pretty much fallen apart over the past month. Whenever I start to think that I might end up okay anyway, something else comes along to knock me down.

There used to be a website forum for people with necrophobia, but it seems to be gone now. It's really a shame, because it helped me a lot over the years when I had the attacks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with intrusive thoughts?

2. Hey - I keep seeing your post as I go through the threads here, and been thinking about it on and off all day - Googling inbetween. I tried to find something for you - a forum - but most of them are not active (and unfortunately there's also a band named necrophobia!). However, this one is more current:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/433703

It may not be like the other one you used to go to (terrible shame it's gone), but it is active (last post in Feb/08). I can't imagine what it's like to have constant overwhelming panic attacks because of that fear you have (it can't be classified as "irrational", because it is real - but when it becomes subconsciously obsessive - that's HELL!). I guess, here at SF, that fear may stay someone's hand from committing suicide - but to experience it as you do is unfathomable...

There are a lot of theories as to why it occurs (I don't know if you've done any research or talked to a professional). And while I was browsing websites there were a sickening amount of claims that it's easily cured! Maybe this site will lead you to other resources...(as i'm pretty much clueless myself)

Also, this is the 'homepage"(?) current forum, which is very active...

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/71

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

is there a name for that? i've been having those kind of panic attacks since i was about 8 or 9 years old, always at night.

the scariest thing about is that you can't reason yourself out of it like with other phobias, it's a certainty, it WILL happen. and when i start thinking about it i can't stop, it's like falling down deeper and deeper, i get more frightened the more i dwell. it used to get to the point where my heart would be beating like crazy and my breathing would be rapid and sometimes get caught....

i told my mum how i was feeling as a child and she told me to just not think about it. so that's what i do know. i just block the thought out if i feel it forming. i don't allow myself to even think about it anymore.

i too, tried religion for a while. tbh though, the idea of hell and even heaven, i mean, the actual idea of 'eternity' - that's a terrifying concept. so it didn't comfort me. but the thought of nothing at all, nonexistence, i can't get my head around that either.

i think a good technique for blocking a thought from developing in your mind is to have a 'mantra' (well that's just what i call it) just a few words or a sentence to repeat over and over, to concentrate on, until the fear is over. it always works for me.

hope you can feel better :smile:

4. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

FoundAndLost1: Thank you for taking the time to find the anxiety forum links. I truly appreciate your sympathy and thoughts.
    It's true that necrophobia has often stopped me from acting on my suicidal plans, though at times, I just want to go ahead and get death over with. I often feel like I'm “between a rock and a hard place.” However, I suppose it could be a blessing in disguise, depending on how I choose to see it...

transmission: Yes, I've been having these attacks since I was a child as well. For a few years, I tried to pretend that people didn't actually die, that they just went somewhere else for a while, but I knew the truth. The attacks seem to be getting worse as I grow older, but the severity fluctuates.
    I spoke with my mother about it as well, and I found out that she has been suffering from it her whole life, too. She has found comfort and meaning in reincarnation, but unfortunately, that explanation freaks me out more than the others (I suffer and work hard in this life, and then I have to start all over again!?). It eventually becomes difficult to discuss things with her.

Thank you both for replying to my post. It helps a lot to know that others can relate to and understand what I'm experiencing. I'll definitely try out and look into what both of you suggested.

5. moogkitz

moogkitz Well-Known Member

I used to have necrophobia. When I was about 10 or 11. It frightened me, the thought of just... dying. Like you, I tried being religious, but the thought of going to Hell and living undead for eternity scared me. So.. yea it didn't help to much. But my mom was there to help me. She always took me to places (like plays or my sisters pep rallies and sports games), just to get the thought of death out of my mind. I guess, eventually I just accepted death and now I'm no longer frightened by it.

I'm not sure how to put it in words, but I guess it's important to live in the now and cherish your life at this very moment. Just forget about the finality of death and live for yourself and your friends and family.

6. Pentacle

Pentacle Well-Known Member

I have a fascination with death, so I can't say I really fear it. However, it does get a bit intrusive for me too. What I try to do is imagine building a wall in my mind... Placing each brick, and each level and just building a wall between myself and 'Death' and labelling the wall 'Life'. It might help if you get to a stage where you feel suffocated by the thoughts, because you can put them all beyond the wall and carry on facing life.

I hope I could help. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.