Need a guide how NOT to suicide?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by 1victor, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1victor

1victor Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting article I have stumbled across while searching on how to do it. I think it complies with forum rules even that the author has an alternative opinion. Mostly, it's about consequences that people have to deal with after a failed suicide attempt and how it effects people you don't even know.

CLICK HERE

In case if the link get broken here is a short list of things you shouldn't do no matter how bad life may got you .

Don't overdose on aspirin, Tylenol, caustics such as lye or oven cleaner, psychiatric drugs such as Thorazine or Elavil, tranquilizers, or sleeping pills.
    Don't slash your wrists.
    Don't shoot yourself.
    Don't jump from a not-very-high place or try to hang yourself.

(All these common techniques are unreliable and have often terrible effects on the survivor.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2008
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Re: Need a guide to suicide?

:blink:

3. Rockster

Rockster Guest

Interesting to see what happens to this thread..... If it stays then well done although the title could have been worked a bit better

4. 1victor

Agree, but the title is not mine and this is not a guide at all.
    :smile:

5. physician

physician Well-Known Member

also read the suicide notes from a coroner's office :blink::blink:

6. mourningseraph

mourningseraph Well-Known Member

Thanks!

7. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

This thread is pushing the line I feel, but for now I will let it stay. Upon staff discussion, it is possible it may be disallowed.

8. 1victor

It's unbelievable how sometimes a very simple thing can trigger such a devastating act.

9. 1victor

I admit that some parts of the article are bit graphic but I am sure that article in whole will have a positive effect on people who incline to commit S on impulse or ignorant about the consequences they have to face in case of survival.

10. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that the gun can be considered a unreliable way, unless its done at some fluke angle or something.

(not sure if this is going to far.)

11. 1victor

I highly doubt that the gun can be considered a unreliable way,...

I have seen a kid on Maury who had literally his brains blown out during a robbery.
    They have showed every angle of his head. It had a hole the size of two fists and the scull was empty inside. You can fit a small cantaloupe there. That's was a horror to watch. The kid was still able to talk and do simple things around the house.
    Go figure.
    I was going to get my gun permit next week, now I completely abandoned the idea.
    I do not wanna be a vegetable for the rest of my life.

12. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

13. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Think this goes to show what a tough job the mods have. I'd bet their decision on this isn't easy or unanimous. I'd say leave it on because the last thing anyone wants to see is somebody worse off through a failed attempt. The fact of the three month waiting list for receiving the mentioned booklets pushes me that way. I would do anything I could to stop someone commiting but must respect each persons choice on this. The article mentions a figure of ten to forty times for attempts to successes. Be interesting to look at the different ways people had failed because some are obviously cries for help. Therefore this figure could be somewhat misleading. I could understand why this may be all deleted but..... Keep up the good work mods. I don't envy you on this one. As for the post by Mightbehere, you may be amazed by the stats on how effective this way is. Without wishing to sound corny or flippant about this, it's not the sure fire method you would think. Love and peace to you all.

14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Suicide is much like a bridge; without planning and design, you have only luck to prop it up. All methods can fail, as can all acts. Even if you don't believe suicide is justifiable, you must agree that the fact it *may* fail is not reason enough on its own to not attempt.

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I want to make a cry-for-help attempt, personally, but I won't live to get the attention, unless I made an idiot of myself. I've evaluated a few methods, and the ones I'm looking at [one poison, two mechanical] WILL kill me. So I'm not trying, and I can't scream out "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!".. So I'm drinking. Woo!

16. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Hanging is also a very successful method and so is shooting yourself. It works most of the time. I have read this article before. My shrink once said to me "I am glad you didn't succeed in killing yourself" I knew she wasn't sincere and just reading one of the standard lines that they get taught to say to people as expressed in this article.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  17. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

FWIW, the article in the OP is probably at least twenty-five years old. I took tricyclics when I was in the hospital in the early '80s (specifically Elavil) but they're just about never prescribed for depression in the US these days, largely because they are potentially so dangerous.

I just wanted to mention this since I think a great deal has changed in that time, so a lot of what is said at the link might not be applicable to today.

Though there're a couple of books mentioned in the article I might try to track down, especially the one about psychiatrists who might actually try to be a bit understanding about someone's wish to die. I did not know such works had ever been published.

18. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

This thread is causing some serious concern among the staff, it is a very difficult call deciding what to do about it.
    In the meantime I have changed the wording of the title slightly to 'Need a guide how NOT to suicide', I am also going to close it until we come to a final decision.
    I hope you will be patient with us while we come to our decision and appreciate that whatever we do, we do it with Sf's members wellbeing in mind.

19. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

lets vote! I vote close it :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  20. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i think its brings to light some very good points about failed attempts :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.