Need a reason to stop

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by robroy, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

I've only self harmed once or twice in my life before this last week, but starting on Wednesday I snapped and I've been doing it regularly to cope with the intense emotional stress I've been feeling. I don't really care about it now, but it's becoming alarmingly comforting and I know I'll regret it becoming a habit in the future. I read the long passage posted in the sticky thread here, but it would be helpful if anyone could tell me here or message me reasons not to, thanks.

2. AngelofPainandMisery

AngelofPainandMisery Fails to communicate effectively

Take it from someone who is covered in scars, it is just not aesthetically pleasing, and you may end up like me abusing scar ointments and skin bleaching creams. I remember an earlier thread you made here saying you only cut in one place. I did that at one time and ended up cutting waaayyy tooo deep and had to stich myself up and got a really bad infection. Scar tissue seems to really cut reduce your feeling of pain and you'll wind up in the hospital or with a really bad infection.
    If you are doing it on arms, people will start noticing, whether you cover your arms or not and they will start talking.
    Though I probably shouldn't be giving advice because I'm still doing it.
    Anyways I hope this was somewhat helpful for you, becuase you really don't want it to turn into an addiction.

3. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Thank you Astrid that did help, and I'll reread this next time I'm thinking of cutting. Hopefully the urge will go away once this situation passes.

4. AngelofPainandMisery

AngelofPainandMisery Fails to communicate effectively

I hope it works a heck of a lot better for you than it has for me. I wish you lots of luck with that :)

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

... I self harm last Friday for the first time in 3 and a half years. I think the best reason to stop would be for your dear skin and not have so many reminders of what the pain of the past brought to you. My reason is so my mom doesn't ever have to see me in that state ever again :/
    I hope you find your reasons to stop once and for all, and if you ever need to talk i'm not far away :)

6. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

Robroy, I can not tell you from experience, I have never cut, I have had friends, one died as a result, but i don't know if that was the plan, but that can and does happen, I don't know how often. I would hate to have it happen to you, I don't want to lose another person that I know, no matter how well I know them. That is my reason though, not yours. I am sorry, this time I do not believe you are smiling reading my post! You can stop cutting! I am sorry I wish that you were not cutting, I wonder how you will some day feel if an when your kids ask you. Daddy, why do you have those Scars? I am Sorry!

7. robroy

robroy Well-Known Member

Leigh, Petal, as always I appreciate you reaching out to me, you've both given me valiable advice. And your wrong Leigh, I'm still smiling reading your post:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.